Finger blister

jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
01/19/2019 12:42 am

Got a small blister on my middle finger. I've been playing just over 7 months (thanks Guitar Tricks) without missing a single day and have some pretty tough calluses. Today I started learning a fairly ambitous guitar solo (ambitious for me at least) that has a ton of slides and bends, a few hours of practicing this and now I am treated to a lovely blister. Do I take a break from guitar all together until it's healed? Maybe back off this solo a bit and play less demanding stuff? It would be a shame if I had to skip a day. Thanks!

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
01/19/2019 3:22 am

Let the pain be your guide. If the pain is bearable, keep playing. If not, don't. If you do, you'll rub through the skin, lose the fluid and shred the skin. Apply some raw apple cider vinegar to it which will accelerate the healing process and keep the 'bugs' out. Whether you keep playing or not will be comfort (pain tolerance) dependent. Either way, a blister in any state will end up a superficial dermal wound to heal.

Wipe over with a sterile alcohol pad & superglue the shredded skin of the tip if you're genuinely hardcore. ZAP (thin) pink is best. Skin loves it. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. Ć°Åøā€˜Ā

If not, get one of those proprietary bandaids with skin healing properties and prepare to have a few days off. Ć°ÅøĀ¤ā€¢

# 2
jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
01/20/2019 1:05 am

I played for about an hour or so. Did the solo a few times. Probably more than I should have but I really get obsessed when I start learning something new. It does look like the blister is larger now so as much as it pains me I'll avoid the solo tomorrow and just focus on the less demanding parts of the song.

# 3
jarrettclopton
jarrettclopton
01/28/2019 2:04 am
Originally Posted by: jarrettclopton

Got a small blister on my middle finger. I've been playing just over 7 months (thanks Guitar Tricks) without missing a single day and have some pretty tough calluses. Today I started learning a fairly ambitous guitar solo (ambitious for me at least) that has a ton of slides and bends, a few hours of practicing this and now I am treated to a lovely blister. Do I take a break from guitar all together until it's healed? Maybe back off this solo a bit and play less demanding stuff? It would be a shame if I had to skip a day. Thanks!

Well the blister healed up a few days ago and I can play the solo as much as I want. It's funny because I think to myself "how did this hurt a few days ago?"

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.