Amps

catmeier
catmeier
12/15/2018 6:29 pm

10 or 20 w amp for home/hobby use. Would also use headphones sometimes. Want to get something to grow into, but not something that cant be used at a lower volume.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
12/15/2018 8:06 pm

Where's "home"? House, apartment, shared, rented owned? Of course I'm referring to noise tolerance acceptability, which also differs culturally.

That said, budget, do you want programmable modelling and what genre can you see yourself predominantly playing with it in two years time?

Necessary questions because of the confusing array of brand and model choice.

If your budget will extend to it, buy around 40W. Headroom is always good, and cleans where gain is curtailed can usually use the extra boost from the volume knob. You can always turn a 40W amp down to a lower volume, but it doesn't work as well the opposite way for most 10 or 20W.

Arguably one of the most impressive home practise small amps going in the 10W class are Yamaha's THR series, but they are pricey.

I did a comprehensive roundup writeup on home practise amps in response to another forum inquirer not very long ago. Do a search. PS. Edit: Found for you. Hotlinked in preceding sentence. As I recall they were looking for a 40W amp, but it's applicable to 20W as well as the majority of manufacturers do one.

Based on my experience. In my own case, for home learning and practise use on electric I have two which get used most at residential (freestanding houses) friendly volumes. A Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40W and Blackstar Fly 3 Combo Stereo 6W.

# 2
catmeier
catmeier
12/16/2018 5:43 pm

Thanks. I'll take a look at your reviews. One of the models I was looking at is a blackstar Id core 20v2. I have a house in a development. Not worried about being to loud except for the fact that I still suck (hence, the headphones).

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
12/16/2018 11:28 pm

Blackstar's ID:Core 20 is a superb little amp for home use with all of the features of the 40, and the choice of many. It's not all that much cheaper than the 40W though, so unless you want the silghtly smaller form factor or the price difference is important, go the 40. You can always turn it down, but you can't turn the volume up from maximum.

It mightn't seem important at the moment, and isn't as critical if you play high gain or anything from Crunch up in the six selectable presets. But for Cleans, later you will want more from it at 'full noise' if you're like the rest of us.

The ID:Cores are a feature laden and versatile amp, utterly brilliant bang for the buck in class. I mount mine isolated on a foldback stand which renders its output an even more impressive presence with an almost tangible projection of energy in the room.

# 4
nkariyawasam
nkariyawasam
01/04/2019 8:48 pm

As per my experience, I have been using several different practice amps ( Fender GT40 with 6" speaker, Vox amp with 10" speaker and Peavey with 12" speaker, all 40W amps., Any speaker in the range 10" -12" makes a BIG differance in the sound ( other than the tone difference on each amp ). even if you play at lower volume.

In my openion it is better to go with a large speaker, and minimum of 40W ( or greater) amp.

Most amps have earphone output so can play silently as well if needed.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.