View post (Pickin from elbow)

View thread

trendkillah
trendkillah
10/03/2002 2:35 pm
I've changed my picking technique a couple of times over the years. Now I'm at a point that I can pick however I want, whenever I want.
Sure, it takes some time(couple of days to get used to it, couple of weeks to get up to speed), but it has always been for the better.
Obviously, you can not pick 6-string arpeggios from the wrist or fingers alone, there has to be some elbow movement. But the overall thought I put in my picking is minimalizing my movements as much as possible. For example, when picking on one string, it's a movement coming from the fingers only. When jumping between 2 or 3 strings, it's wrist and fingers. Strumming chords and sweeped arpeggios come from the elbow and wrist.

Like I said in a previous post, I found out the hard way I had to change my technique. Not being able to play guitar cause your arm just doesn't want to anymore sucks big time.
Anyway, if you're totally comfortable the way you play now, and don't want to put any effort into changing your technique, or even just trying, then don't change a thing. Your body will tell you if you're doing something wrong sooner or later. But as you say yourself, you sometimes have to take breaks cause your arm is tired. If you keep straining your arm like that, sooner or later you probably will end up injured.(RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome are not uncommon amongst musicians)
Either your technique is wrong, or, your body just isn't trained for it.