View post (Pickin from elbow)

View thread

Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/02/2002 7:21 pm
I´ve tried but only for few minutes and it seems like mission impossible. The speed and muting at high speed seems to be gone. I know that big movements mean less control but in my case I don think so. Here´s why:

First of all, I don´t hold my pick like most players do. They hold it between thum and point finger but I hold it between my thumb and my long finger. While picking I strech out my point finger and my ring finger so it looks like heavy metal salute (you know point finger and ring finger up).

Than when I play medium speed licks like 16-notes classic patterns a la crossroads duel, at 140 bpm, I kind of mix wrist with elbow. I feel some tension than in my arm (no pain at all) but it´s just that as longer I play I get more tyred. And after perhaps 30 sec. of playn´ stuff like that, I need at least 10-20 sec. rest to be able to play same thing again.

But than when I move on to 16-notes at 250 a la bumblebee, that one is also aprox 30 sec. but it´s much easyer for me. It goes almost at double tempo (same good old 16-notes) but it´s much easyer for my pick hand. Same thing goes with triplets (three note per string paterns) wich I love most of all a la Metropolis guitar/keyboard fast triplet part, again very easy for my pick hand.

When it comes to control, I think my is good. Reason is string skipping. I mean you must have pretty good control to skip from e to E and than back to A our somthing like that. It´s very easy for me and I can get it pretty fast. Same thing is when playng 3 note per strings and run it down from E to e and vice versa. So, yeah I got pretty big movement (but I think that Jason Beckers movment seems bigger) but there´s no problem with the control at all.

Only thing I vorry about is the eventual injury. But If I would start to feel pain in my elbow, than might I´ll change to wrist but so far is good. Actually grat and I hope that it´ll remain that way.
Dejan S. No speed limit