Thick Thin Slanted Horizontal

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
10/18/2018 3:28 am

Is it just me or what, i started working on Kiss and found that the funky rhythym caused me to have problems handling the pick. I feel like this is just me for some reason, i do not hear others dicuss this problem. I've been using 1mm and i like the pointed jazz picks at times, but now i'm moving back towards an 88 to help in some of those 16th notes scrubbing parts. What the heck am i missing Mike, i do not have a problem with the tempo or rhythym, it just seems to be a recurring issue on some songs hanging on to the stupid pick. Or is it just practice, practice, practice. I'm pretty sure it is good practice since it seems to expose an issue for me...Thanks Mike!

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/18/2018 1:53 pm

Hi Steve! Well, you did a great thing changing up the pick as the jazz picks are more difficult to use in a song like this! As for dropping the picks - this is more common than you would think, and from time to time I struggle with it a bit.

The best advice I can give is to be intentional during your practice time. For example, in a song like Kiss, I would work on making sure my chord fingerings and changes are comfortable and correct. Next I would tackle the specific strumming, slowly of course, so that I am getting the strum pattern down properly.

Once you've practiced both of those, they can be a bit more on "auto pilot" if that makes any sense, then you can practice while focusing your attention to holding on to the pick. In my experience, it's a combination of your strumming arm and wrist staying as relaxed as possible, but at the same time gripping the pick with enough pressure to keep it locked between your fingers. It's not as easy as it sounds, but the idea is that with repetitive practice, you'll be able to do this without thinking about it.

Hope this helps, please let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
10/19/2018 1:30 am

Thanks Mike, I thought about gorilla glue or something but i still have a day job. I still try and get at least 2 hrs practice daily but the further i go it seems i find that 2 hrs isn't nearly enough. On weekends i may double or triple that practice time. But the need to challenge, and structure my lessons in the effort to maintain efficiency does concern me a bit though. I'm pretty sure a more private lesson type would help. Thanks again for all your help...Later Mike!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.