"Quiet Box"

fmarty
fmarty
09/10/2002 5:39 pm
Is anyone familiar with this product? It's listed on Ebay under item #905321347. It is supposed to function similar to a power attenuator but goes in your fx loop and requires no power and is supposed to be much cheaper. Not supposed to have a harmful effect on tube life. I have not run across this item before and wonder if anyone has one or knows if they work as stated in the ad. Thanks! Fred
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2002 10:24 pm
This box allows you to crank your tube amp with out getting too much volume. This is to allow you to get the tone of saturated overdriven tubes with out killing next doors lawn.

[Edited by Dr_simon on 09-10-2002 at 05:32 PM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
09/11/2002 12:17 pm
It's snake oil, and it won't work.

Power tube saturation doesn't occur when you just turn up the master volume; the tubes have to actually be outputing at a saturated level. The only way to get them to be saturated, but not have huge volume, is to attenuate the power after the power amp, before the speakers. Or stick the speakers into a sealed box.

His comment that a power soak will shorten the life of the tubes is also bunk. The tubes will only have a shorter life if you run them harder as a result of having the soak in there.
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/16/2005 1:27 am
I see a product like the one you describe on EBAY as well but it's called a volume box. I emailed a few people that bought one and they say it works great but I am still very skeptical. I'm with dot-dot-dot on this and think you would have to have the soak after the amp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong so I can save about 200 bucks. HAHA
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/16/2005 4:40 am
[font=trebuchet ms]The eBay link in the first post is dead, of course, but I can make a pretty good guess about the item. Do you have any snakes that need oiling?

A passive (no power required) circuit that plugs into the effects loop can only attenuate the preamp signal before the power amp gets it. This would allow you to crank the preamp to get it to distort. That distorted preamp signal could then be reduced in level by the added circuit, and fed into the power amp from the effects loop jack. This is an external Master Volume.

The resulting tone would be entirely preamp distortion, fed to a lightly-driven power amp. It might be OK for metal, but for blues or Classic rock, it would suck ass. To get righteous power amp distortion at lower sound levels, you have to introduce attenuation after the power amp, or inside the power amp.

The most common way to implement the first technique (after the power amp), is to use a device that connects between the amp and the speaker(s). There is some loss of tone with this method, because the speaker is not getting the full power from the amp, so it sounds different. Tube wear is often made worse than expected, because they are being driven hard to get the distortion. A less common method, only used in recording studios, is to drive a speaker mounted in a soundproof box with a microphone in it. This can produce better tone, but you lose the acoustic interaction between the guitar and the speaker. Techniques like controlled feedback just can't work.

To attenuate the signal level inside the power amp, the most commen technique is something called Power Scaling. This is done by reducing the voltage applied to the power tubes, which reduces the power they produce for a given input signal level. You can get some idea of how this works by playing your guitar immediately after the power switch is turned off while the standby switch is still turned on. As the available voltage drops, the sound gets more and more distorted, and less and less loud. A big advantage of this technique is that the reduced voltage is much easier on the power tubes, and will actually allow them to last much longer. On the downside, you still have the tone loss resulting from the speakers getting a lower signal level, and the lower volume makes controlled feedback harder to get.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/16/2005 5:01 am
Thanks LATS! I'll just keep playin what I got. I'm my signal runs into my GNX4 to a BBE 362 sonic maximizer then into the FX return. I have a level adjustment for my FX return. I like the tone I get with this combo but I'm wondering if it would sound better with the FX level adjustment turned up and the output on the GNX4 turned down. Would this saturate the tubes more for an overall better tone? I know I could just try it but I appreciate everyones opinion.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/16/2005 6:54 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]The eBay link in the first post is dead, of course, but I can make a pretty good guess about the item. Do you have any snakes that need oiling?

A passive (no power required) circuit that plugs into the effects loop can only attenuate the preamp signal before the power amp gets it. This would allow you to crank the preamp to get it to distort. That distorted preamp signal could then be reduced in level by the added circuit, and fed into the power amp from the effects loop jack. This is an external Master Volume.

The resulting tone would be entirely preamp distortion, fed to a lightly-driven power amp. It might be OK for metal, but for blues or Classic rock, it would suck ass. To get righteous power amp distortion at lower sound levels, you have to introduce attenuation after the power amp, or inside the power amp.

The most common way to implement the first technique (after the power amp), is to use a device that connects between the amp and the speaker(s). There is some loss of tone with this method, because the speaker is not getting the full power from the amp, so it sounds different. Tube wear is often made worse than expected, because they are being driven hard to get the distortion. A less common method, only used in recording studios, is to drive a speaker mounted in a soundproof box with a microphone in it. This can produce better tone, but you lose the acoustic interaction between the guitar and the speaker. Techniques like controlled feedback just can't work.

To attenuate the signal level inside the power amp, the most commen technique is something called Power Scaling. This is done by reducing the voltage applied to the power tubes, which reduces the power they produce for a given input signal level. You can get some idea of how this works by playing your guitar immediately after the power switch is turned off while the standby switch is still turned on. As the available voltage drops, the sound gets more and more distorted, and less and less loud. A big advantage of this technique is that the reduced voltage is much easier on the power tubes, and will actually allow them to last much longer. On the downside, you still have the tone loss resulting from the speakers getting a lower signal level, and the lower volume makes controlled feedback harder to get.[/font]

here's a quick question for you...how would you get that with a fender 59' bassman reissue since it's a combo amp....is there a way to do this without serious soldering and time and sweat?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/16/2005 7:04 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypus....is there a way to do this without serious soldering and time and sweat?
[font=trebuchet ms]In a word:

No.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/18/2006 8:37 pm
What are some good models of power brakes or power soaks? So far I've looked at Marshal's new one, I think it's called the stealth. I've looked at THD and I also Looked at a Tom Scholz. I'm just wondering, which one is best.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/18/2006 8:45 pm
Look >here< for some more info, and see why I like Weber products.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/18/2006 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsLook >here< for some more info, and see why I like Weber products.

WOW! Weber looks good man. I like the MASS 150. I have a B-52 AT100 head and an AT100 4x12 cab. Do you think the MASS 150 would best suit my amp?
# 11
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/19/2006 12:04 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsLook >here< for some more info, and see why I like Weber products.

I went with the MASS 150. I'll let you know what I think about it when it arrives and I have a chance to mess with it. Thanks again LATS!
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2006 1:09 am
I used to have one on my old Marshall amp and it worked great.
It allowed you to crank the amp right up while keeping the volume down.
It was basically just a big volume knob sitting in a small metal case on top of your amp.
You cranked your amp up to about 7, and lowered the volume on the attenuator to around 3 and you could get a great distortion sound without blasting your ears off.
# 13
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/19/2006 1:35 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeI used to have one on my old Marshall amp and it worked great.
It allowed you to crank the amp right up while keeping the volume down.
It was basically just a big volume knob sitting in a small metal case on top of your amp.
You cranked your amp up to about 7, and lowered the volume on the attenuator to around 3 and you could get a great distortion sound without blasting your ears off.

Man, I'm soo excited I can't stand it. I ordered one with cream colored knobs. You can choose from several different colors, for the knobs. I almost went with green. :D

I can't wait! WHOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've ordered some other stuff too. Give ya'll more info later. :(

*let's out GAS pressure*
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2006 1:53 pm
Mmmmmm Marshall cranked to 7 !!

(sorry Im starting to drool !)
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.