View post (I'M BACK)

View thread

Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/11/2002 4:21 am
No, I was speaking of Clinton. Oh, and by the way, the electoral college exists to protect the people from themselves. You see, anyone who knows anything knows that a purely democratic system is flawed and will eventually fall. This is why the founding fathers of America built in checks and balances to the ever swaying and capricious will of the people. The opinions of the people can be bought and easily manipulated, so this is why we have the electoral college; and also why, before our country began its unfortunate present slide into mediocrity, senators were elected by the state legislatures.

And about your number 3 . . . well, that's exactly what people who are completely detached from reality always say. If you had ever been raped, mugged, or beaten to a pulp in an alleyway, you would probably feel differently on the subject. It's no coincidence that Britan has been experiencing ever increasing crime rates ever since they "outlawed" guns. Poor people . . . It all comes down to the question of personal responsibility versus having a bunch of faceless people (i.e. the State), who don't really give a crap about you, trying to take care of your best interests. Which would you prefer?