One year on...

Alpha_Monkey
Alpha_Monkey
09/01/2002 11:48 am
Okay, I've been playing for a good nine months (although the first 6 weeks I just ****ted around). While I'm fine with my chords, speed and accuracy, and I've got the hang of simple riffs (radiohead, muse, those kinda things), until now I haven't really bothered to look at scales much...hence I have no clue when it comes to constructing my own riffs and chords.
And my palm muting is piss poor.

Basically, I was wondering where I should be at 1, 2 and 3 years down the line, bearing in mind that I now put in a good couple of hours practice a day. I just don't want to get lazy...
# 1
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/01/2002 5:36 pm
It varies from person to person. After a year I was round about where you are now, although I'd looked at some scales so I'd suggest you do that next. Try recording yourself as well, and put that recording away for six months. Listen to it again at the 6th month mark to hear how you've improved. If you carry on at 2 hours a day and set yourself goals you will improve, trust me.

Good that you're playing Radiohead as I have a way to relate that to what I've said. After about a year I was trying to learn songs from OK computer. I could manage some chords alright but the more technical work on songs like Airbag, P.A, Subterrainean Homesick alien etc was beyond me. A year later this didnt seem to hard to me, I could get the book of tab and pick up bits of the songs quite quickly. In two weeks time I will have officially been playing for half a decade (wooohooo!) and now have the technical ability to learn and play the entire album. Thats a goal I set myself years ago and have now reached :cool:

Good luck.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
09/02/2002 1:26 am
As musicians, we tend to set these rediculous deadlines for ourselves... but the truth of the matter is that we all work at our pace, and shouldn't forget that. Learning to play the guitar, it's a gradual process, but it's important to always maintain a high level of enthusiasm. Before you put the guitar down, make sure that you try something new and innovative, experiment with sounds that you never heard before. So then the next time you pick it up you'll have something to look forward to, you'll want to finish that last thought. :)

It's important to know exactly where you want to be in a few years from now, and to also consider the possibilities... and also that you just might not get there. It's strange, but it's part of reality. Heck, as long as you're having a good time, you shouldn't worry so much, you should just always be ready and willing to learn new things, and most importantly, be ready to rock!!!

If you set rediculous deadlines for yourself a musician. ...then perhaps you should question why you pick up your instrument to begin with?

~Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3
jesse sutton
jesse sutton
09/02/2002 1:38 am
hey dude,

it all depends on what you are looking to learn and perfect with your guitar. specific goals in mind help you to reach certain plateaus, and if you aim for the highest then you wont end up far off, (does that make sense?)

i have been at it for almost two years, and now i can do just about everything. i know sweeps, legatos, a ton of scales, palm muting, taps, etc... blah blah blah. but thats because i said "holy crap i want to play just like malmsteen, or becker, or angelo, or whoever." and i didnt do anything last fall, no work, no school, i did nothing except play guitar all day long. so of course, i would have more experience under my belt then the average person who had been playing the same amount of time. so its best not to put a standard time frame on when you should be improving or mastering the guitar or whatever, cause it all depends on how well and how aften you practice.

And the best advice i could give would be to stick with this site. I learned everything that i could possibly learn from this site. and dont just scan the front page, dig in a bit, and find all the people on here that really know what they are talking about and trust me, there are more then you would think.

in closing i just want to add that the best part of guitar is not playing the best or the fastest or whatever. it isnt who can do the best riffs and who can impress the most people. Its all about just enjoying a magnificent thing. Having fun doing what you do. i play baseball, spend time with my girlfriend and play guitar, and to me that is heaven.

anyway, sorry to babble your ear off, but i like to challenge ponyone on his longwinded posts, simply cause i have a lot to say.

jesse sutton (canada kicks ass)

p.s. if you put forth too much effort, like spending 15 hours a day on guitar, 24/7, then you will go insane like me. Trust me, work hard but dont make it an obsession.

life is all about having sex with beautiful women.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.