Best/Favorite Drummer

metalisbest
metalisbest
08/26/2002 10:48 pm
Who do you think is the best drummer ever, and who are some of your favorites?

A few of my favs. are Chad Sexton from 311, David Silvera from KoRn, Brad Wilk from Rage, the dude from Limp Bizkit is really good(too bad they can't get a new singer.

The drummers that I think are the best are Mitch Mithcell from Jimi Hendrix, John Bonham from Led Zepplin, and John Dolmayan from System of a Down.
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/26/2002 11:45 pm
I like Keith Moon. (If you read my post on the bass player thing you probably have guessed that I am a big Who fan)
Its so cool how he drums, not just a straight beat, he goes all over the place, wiht the vocals, piano, guitar, whatever.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
Locomotive breath
Locomotive breath
08/27/2002 12:26 pm
Ginger Baker was pretty good with Cream.
Alex Van Halen
You have to hand it to the Def Leppard guy (one arm)
Tommy Lee wasn't bad especially upside down.
Doug Clifford from CCR
Steve Adler from G&R

# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
08/27/2002 2:57 pm
my favortie and who i think is best is JOhn Bonham. Listen to MOby Dick, especially the live versions. He's Awesome
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
Matt V.
Matt V.
08/27/2002 5:13 pm
my favorite drummers are vinnie from pantera and abe from the deftones.
# 5
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
08/29/2002 11:10 am
Mike Portnoy, Terri Bozzio, John Bohman (Zepp)
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 6
Kirk Hammett worshiper
Kirk Hammett worshiper
09/01/2002 10:27 pm
Vinnie Paul Abbott all the way.
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it can get pretty crappy these days.
# 7
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/04/2002 3:08 am
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Vinnie Paul Abbot (Pantera)
Randy Castillo (Ozzy)(R.I.P.)
Lars Ulrich (When he was in practice and playing all the time)
Pat Torpey (Mr. Big)
Chuck Bisckuts (Circle Jerks, Danzig)
Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)
Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)

Way too many more to list...I keep on thinking of many great ones. These'll do fo now.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 8
Posporo
Posporo
09/04/2002 8:59 pm
when I was into only metal, Igor Calavera was my fave (Sepultura, especially Arise, their best album by far in my opinion) even though you may say he's not all that great, Lars Ulrich was always pretty good, he had a good sound, plus Metallica used to be my and probably most people at this forum's fave band...

If you look at Jazz guys tho they are head and shoulders above the rest...John Bonham and some other absolutely phenomenal rock drummers come very close, but take one listen to Tony Williams or maestro Elvin Jones...even Philly Joe Jones and a whole hell of a lot more guys...my faves of Jazz would have to be Billy Cobham, probably Jack DeJohnette, Dennis Chambers (hardcore of course), all of these guys are older and black of course, and that should be ABSOLUTELY no surprise...these dudes sweep the floor with ANYONE...
# 9
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/06/2002 5:21 pm
ehh mike portnoy is a bit drumm-machinish to my taste
my favorites are: Ian Pace (all of a sudden i forgot how to spell his name :) ), John Bonham, Roger Taylor from queen, Cozzy Powell, Keith Moon, The dude from Double Trouble
and thats about all
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 10
James8831
James8831
09/06/2002 6:32 pm
(Paice) - great live. Also Bonzo,Chad Smith,Frank Beard and Frankie "Kash" Waddy and Clyde Stubblyfeller . Many more beside.Level headed ,solid+good and reasonably normal drummmer = worth their weight.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 11
u10ajf
u10ajf
09/07/2002 3:41 pm
Mike Portnoy from dream theater (this guy takes the piss even as viruosos go).

Neil Peart from Rush (check out YYZ, Xanadu etc from exit stage left).

the guy off Terje Rypdal's album If mountains could sing. Some really fine jazz drumming.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 12
Marquis_of_fire
Marquis_of_fire
09/08/2002 5:54 am
Ok, Taylor from Queen is very good, and I agree with almost all of everyone's elses choices, but I just don't think you can beat Bonzo. Sure I'm a little biased, because I play a lot of Zeppelin, but look at Black Dog, that is some nice drums. He knows how to write his stuff and just fit it in with every other part, it fits better than any other drummer I can think of out of the front of my brain. Moby Dick rules. But one thing. How many of you have seen _The Song Remains the Same_? It looks like Bonham is yelling at his drumm set, what's that about? (Is this post too long) Anyway I don't have the type of cordination for drums.

Seth 'Woody' Woodworth
----------------------------------
Does anybody remember laughter?
# 13
jesse sutton
jesse sutton
09/08/2002 7:14 pm
i dont know many great drummers but here is my list.

travis parker-blink 182
jimmy chamberlain-smashing pumpkins
jeremy taggert-our lady peace
dave grohl-nirvana
matt cameron-soundgarden/pearl jam
teddy feica- a dude that went to my high school

the last guy there is one of the best i have ever heard. he was phenomenal. i couldnt imagine seeing a person better then this guy.
life is all about having sex with beautiful women.
# 14
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/13/2002 9:34 pm
I just heard Moby Dick.
John Bonham can play man!
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 15
stratman42
stratman42
09/23/2002 7:31 pm
Wow, i aint been on this forum in a year. My musical tastes have...shall we say expanded, an i'm glad to say i agree with most of the choices on here. However (and as i kno some of you may be a little touchy about this subject i do state this is only my opinion) i dont agree particularly about lars ulrich. I must say ive not heard much early Metallica stuff but from what ive heard overall i'd say that for me he doesnt make full use of the double bass drums. I know sometimes these can be overused, but theres not much point having them if theyre hardly used at all...onc again i stress to the vast amount of you that are metallica fans and/ornewish to the forum...THIS IS JUST MY OPINION FROM MY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF DRUMMING AND METALLICA. For what i consider to be a good useage of double bassage d/l some stuff by blind guardian - a german power metal band most of you have probably never heard of. Their drummer, Thomen Stauch, is well-versed in double bass drum technique but finds time to use other techniques too, which is good. As far as my other faves go, Mike Portnoy, John Bonham and Ian Paice...also Bill Ward from sabbath, i wonder y he's not been mentioned yet....

*Ponders* Did i ever become a senior member?
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 16
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/23/2002 8:48 pm
I have to realect Dave Lombardo (Slayer) As one of the fastest with incredible timing (Notice I did not say he was the fastest. I mentioned him because he is a fav. of mine)

Randy Castillo (Ozzy/Lita Ford) was probably one of the most talented drummers. I liked how he added American Indian tribal beats and melded it with rock n roll.
(R.I.P Randy...I will miss you)
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/26/2002 6:11 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Noel Redding. I think that's the guy's name. Anyway, the guy who played drums for Hendrix on Hey Joe.

I'm pretty sure that Noel Redding was Jimi's bassist but I may be sticking my foot in my mouth by saying that.

Also, the drummer for Double Trouble is/was Chris Layton.

AiC's drummer (I'm blanking on his name right now) was pretty good at coming up with signature beats. It's a shame to see so many of them being swiped by Godsmack (with plenty of riffs too actually). But, of all the drummers out there though, the only guy I'd really like to jam with is JP Gaster from Clutch.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
stratman42
stratman42
09/26/2002 8:20 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
I'm pretty sure that Noel Redding was Jimi's bassist but I may be sticking my foot in my mouth by saying that.
[/B]

Yup, he was....Mitch Mitchell was Hendrix's drummer....how odd no-one said that before me....:p I had some more names, but they've gone now...never mind, has anyone ever actually heard of Blind Guardian?
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 19
mark_jones58
mark_jones58
10/01/2002 6:06 pm
I THINK DAVE GROHL WHEN HE DRUMMED FOR NIRVANA IS PROBHABLY THE BEST DRUUMER EVER. HES AMAZING ITS LIKE A DEMON HAS POSSESED HIM WHEN HE DRUMS!!!!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.