Peavey Classic 30, help.

fmarty
fmarty
08/12/2002 5:36 pm
Just bought a used Classic 30. Sounds good except that there is an audible vibration (not through the speaker) caused by the metal wire type tube retainers that surround each tube. Wondering if anyone has a good way to remedy this vibration. The metal used in the retainers is of the springy type so I don't think bending them is the answer. I wasn't sure if it was safe to wedge something in between the tubes and the retainers, and if so what would work well? I'm new to tube amps and don't want to screw something up with it. Thanks in advance! FM
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/13/2002 2:04 pm
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head, have you tried removing the retainer, and taking a look at how the spring is anchored in the base, you may be able to feed threw like one coil and re-anchor it, if that looks like it won't work, the best bet may be to find some quality made retainers, they shouldn't cost very much, I'll check some of my bookmarks for a supplier, I have heard alot of complaints about the Classic 30's tubes being too exposed so spending a few bucks to protect them will be money well spent................
# 2
fmarty
fmarty
08/13/2002 2:10 pm
Yes... those tubes are pretty exposed. I see that some have devised grid type guards that will allow ventilation. I think I'll do that. I was a bit paranoid about fooling around too much around the tube retainers after reading that the caps hold a charge for some time and I could be shocked. I'm new to tube amps. It looks like all the electronics are under a metal cover so do you think I can still get shocked digging around the tubes if I don't go under the cover??
Thanks for responding. Fred
# 3
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/14/2002 1:46 pm
A few saftey tips, always unplug the amp first, let the tubes cool down before handling them, do not stick metallic objects into the tube sockets, stay out of that metal box ( it's the chassis ), are your spring retainers attached to the outside of the chassis with screws? If so their shouldn't be any problem removing them, if it looks to be more involved than that, you might want to take it to a shop, ................
# 4
fmarty
fmarty
08/14/2002 2:02 pm
Thanks for the safety advice. I was able to take the tube retainers out and bend them so they fit tightly against the end of the tubes and they no longer rattle. Is there a danger of a spark jumping out of what I assume is the transformer if the amp isn't plugged in? The transformer isn't under the metal cover. Appreciate it! FM
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/14/2002 2:33 pm
The transformer has its own cover, so no worries there. As long as you don't open the chassis, the only high voltage hazard is the pins of the tube sockets, hence pstring's warning.

Click on the search icon at the top of the page, and enter "tubes" as a keyword. You will get a long list of threads with tube amp info.

Happy reading!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/14/2002 3:51 pm
Silly me, I thought you had the coiled spring type retainer, it sounds like you just described the fender type, flat metal type of thing, whatever it was, it sounds like you got it whupped, Bravo!, As far as sparks jumping out of the transformer, one safety rule I left out, Never under any circumstance, play on the roof of your house during an electrical storm, simple yes, but it's kept me safe all these years..............

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.