View post (Re. Heat. How do you all cope?)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/08/2018 3:53 pm

It makes little difference where you are or what the temp is... it's what you are used to, IMO. I moved from humid, south Texas to dry western Montana some years ago. Summers in the new Montana place were wonderful... for a while. Today, I am sometimes uncomfortable in my house during a summer day even though its high is [u]cooler[/u] than what I could afford to air condition the house down to in Texas.

Use what you've got as best as you can. Open the windows at night, use fans to push the cooler night air through the house. Close up your place as soon as the morning outside temperature starts warming up the interior. Block direct sunlight on the windows as best you can. Schedule your activities around the temperature as best as you can. Don't forget the fans during the day. That's what I do and it's a big help as we also have no air conditioning.

Do some long range planning. The future summers in most places are going to be warmer.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins