Hi

NickFerra
NickFerra
04/01/2018 9:00 pm

Hi,

I'm not exactly new here but a layoff from my job a while back caused a rut in my life that I couldn't play guitar that much or go through the full access part of this website.

But i'm back and eager to learn lead guitar and touch up my rythem

My favorites include Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Oasis, Acdc, The Beatles, Pink Floyd... just to name a few. I really want to dig into these types of styles of guitar playing like the bands I listed.

Hmmm So where to begin...

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2018 1:24 pm

Hey, Nick! Long time, no talk. :)[br]

Originally Posted by: NickFerra[p]But i'm back and eager to learn lead guitar and touch up my rhythm ... my favorites include Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Oasis, Acdc, The Beatles, Pink Floyd... just to name a few. I really want to dig into these types of styles of guitar playing like the bands I listed.
[p]You need to work through Rock Course 1 & 2!

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=rock1

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=rock2

And start learning songs by your favorite artists.

https://www.guitartricks.com/artists/The-Beatles-Guitar-Lessons

https://www.guitartricks.com/artists/Stone-Temple-Pilots-Guitar-Lessons

https://www.guitartricks.com/artists/Tom-Petty-Guitar-Lessons

https://www.guitartricks.com/artists/Led-Zeppelin-Guitar-Lessons

And practice a whole lot. :) Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
NickFerra
NickFerra
04/02/2018 5:16 pm

Hi Christopher,

I remember you. Thanks :-) I will get on it.

I actually have 3 weeks to learn some basic guitar leads because my band lost our lead guitarist and we have shows coming up haha

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2018 7:03 pm
Originally Posted by: NickFerra

Hi Christopher,

I actually have 3 weeks to learn some basic guitar leads because my band lost our lead guitarist and we have shows coming up haha

We had a conversation about how to play the leads to some of your band's songs a while back.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=3&t=45193&pg=1

If you have only 3 weeks to learn lead guitar from the ground up, then you better get to practicing! :) Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
NickFerra
NickFerra
04/02/2018 7:10 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hi Christopher,

We had a conversation about how to play the leads to some of your band's songs a while back.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=3&t=45193&pg=1

If you have only 3 weeks to learn lead guitar from the ground up, then you better get to practicing! :) Have fun!

ahhh yep, I remember. I wasn't able to get to those lessons but I will this time. I am pretty eager to learn this time. I'll record our show and post it if you wanna see how good, or bad, I do. I'll be the only person playing guitar. Our bass player might help for a couple of songs but it'll be mostely me

# 5
NickFerra
NickFerra
04/19/2018 2:02 am

Hi Christopher,

Can you help me with one song of ours?

This is what our lead guitarist recorded for our CD on our song starring at the sky. Of course he's no longer with the band and I was trying to learn how to play his intro and see what scales he was playing for the solo. It's over a D and C chord progression.

Our CD isn't out yet so all I have is the recording from the radio. We were In a contest and got an interview and our song played on live radio.

Anyways here it is

https://youtu.be/Ek1Emjc-MSs

The song starts at 2:50 I think. The rest is just the interview.

I tried the d minor pentatonic scale and it's just not working very well.

Any help in translating the intro and whatnot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/19/2018 3:18 pm

Thanks!

That's all basic D minor pentatonic blues based rock licks. Some of it might be at the 5th & 7th fret. And there are a couple of lead lines overlapping (overdubs?). Some of it even sound like he's using a slide. But, this roughly what I can hear.

|------------------------------|------------|[br]|------------------------------|------------|[br]|-----10/b(12)--12/b(14)~|~(14)----|[br]|-12--------------------------|------------|[br]|------------------------------|------------|[br]|------------------------------|------------|

|------------------------------|-----------------------------|

|--12-10--------------------|-12/b(14)(12)-10-------|

|-----------12-10--12~~~-|-----------------------------|

|------------------------------|----------------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|-15--------------------15b/(17)-----|[br]|-----10/b(12)--12/b(14)-|------(14)(12)-10------------------|[br]|-12--------------------------|----------------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|----------------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|----------------------------------------|

|-------------------------------------|------------------------|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------------------|[br]|-12/b(14)(12)-10--12--10----|-12-10---------------|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------12-~~~---|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------------------|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------------------|

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/20/2018 3:20 pm

Welcome back, Nick! Have fun!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
NickFerra
NickFerra
04/21/2018 5:51 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Thanks!

That's all basic D minor pentatonic blues based rock licks. Some of it might be at the 5th & 7th fret. And there are a couple of lead lines overlapping (overdubs?). Some of it even sound like he's using a slide. But, this roughly what I can hear.

|------------------------------|------------|[br]|------------------------------|------------|[br]|-----10/b(12)--12/b(14)~|~(14)----|[br]|-12--------------------------|------------|[br]|------------------------------|------------|[br]|------------------------------|------------|

|--12-10--------------------|-12/b(14)(12)-10-------|

|-----------12-10--12~~~-|-----------------------------|

|------------------------------|----------------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|-15--------------------15b/(17)-----|[br]|-----10/b(12)--12/b(14)-|------(14)(12)-10------------------|[br]|-12--------------------------|----------------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|----------------------------------------|[br]|------------------------------|----------------------------------------|

|-------------------------------------|------------------------|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------------------|[br]|-12/b(14)(12)-10--12--10----|-12-10---------------|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------12-~~~---|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------------------|[br]|-------------------------------------|------------------------|

Sweet! Thanks! I'll try and mess around with it today. It's kinda hard to read cuz the lines are a little out of porportion but I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks again for your help!!

Nick

# 9
NickFerra
NickFerra
04/21/2018 5:51 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Welcome back, Nick! Have fun!

Thanks Lisa! Love your lessons!

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.