Will this ever come to me...

northernmoore
northernmoore
03/25/2018 11:04 am

I am following the beginners course with Lisa McCormick who by the way is brilliant. I had private lessons for 4 months and stopped as I was actually going backwards. Unfortunatly, I must be a total dobba because it doesnt matter how much I practise I cannot perform the basics.

For example Am to Em - Cross the Line I simply cannot make the switch between chords without covering the high E stirng and then I get into a muddle and it all goes to crap.

Seriously... how long do you give it before you should just simply give up...

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2018 4:19 pm

Hey and welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: northernmoore

For example Am to Em - Cross the Line I simply cannot make the switch between chords without covering the high E stirng and then I get into a muddle and it all goes to crap.

It takes every individual student a different amount of time and effort to gain the skills required to play guitar. But the same process has to happen for everyone, you have to go through enough repetitious practice until your hands and fingers aquire the strength and dexterity to make it an automatic motion.

What kind of guitar are you using? You don't want to blame your tools if it's a matter of technique. :) But a lot of beginners have been hindered by a guitar with bad action, poor set up or neck too big for their hands.

Regarding the specific problem of chord changes, it can help to just focus on the problem area.

Play the A minor chord, make sure it rings clearly. Then switch to the E minor chord, make sure it rings clearly. Repeat!

But just strum each chord once. Don't worry about getting into a strumming pattern until you can get from one chord to the next cleanly.

Hope that helps! Best of success.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
northernmoore
northernmoore
03/25/2018 4:33 pm

Many thanks for your comments I really appreciate you getting back to me and I will try what you suggested. I have two guitars the one I play the most is my Faith Jupiter Hi Gloss and I have just purchased last month a new 2018 Gibon SJ200 on a bit of whim...

However, I actually prefer my Faith as it actually seems easier to play than the Gibson.

Thank you again

Jonathan

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.