Hello from Southern England

imccowatt
imccowatt
01/23/2018 5:44 am

Introduction

So, been around since just before Christmas, and I guess it's past time I introduced myself.

I'm Iain, and music has been in my life for a long time. Growing up I played cello in a couple of youth orchestras. As a young adult I learned a little bit of guitar and played rhythm in a university rock band. To be brutally honest though - whilst I loved playing, and most particularly paying with others - as a youngster I never really had the discipline to take it very far.

And then life intervened: careers and families.

Now I'm a bit older and the kids are less dependent (as at 23 + 15 they should!) I'm finding I've a little bit more time available. I'm also finding a strong desire to have creative things in my life to counterbalance work (IT in banking, ‘nuff said). Over the past few years I’ve become a keen photographer, and even have my few first paying gigs coming up this year – that could turn into a second career, or perhaps just an extra income in 20 years when I retire.

Meanwhile, the guitar that’s been hiding under my bed for 25 years kept calling me.

Now, one of the things I’ve discovered long the way is that I can get pretty good at just about anything I turn my hand to – so long as I put the hard yards in. And just before Christmas decided that my guitar’s time had come. A brief search brought me to GuitarTricks.

Goals

1. Improvisation. Previously, played rhythm only. I’ve no desire to be a high-speed shredder, but want to get to the point where I can hear a chord progression and confidently improvise an articulate, expressive solo. I have no idea how long this will take, but I’m beginning to form some view as to how to get there (scales/get to know the neck, licks and solos that have gone before, enough theory to understand what goes together well and when, practice, practice, practice).

2. Song writing. I’ve done a little before and loved it. Lyrically, I was always very happy with my work. But with a musical language that extended to about 7 open + power + barre chords AND NAFF ALL theory I often became frustrated that I often couldn’t get the music out of my head and into the real world. I’m thinking this will come...but a bit of theory won’t hurt. This goal feels a little vague, but for the time being it’s a direction rather than a destination. I’m fine with that.

Gear

My baby: extremely battered ‘69 Strat bought for not much in the nineties. Recently brought back to a playable state by a local chap who cares for a certain red ’59 that happened to be the very first Strat in the UK – so I guess he know’s his trade! Was amazed to discover that not only are modern copies of this guitar made, but people pay to have them scuffed up!

Gibson LP Faded T: ex demo and something of a steal. Was meant to be a stop gap whilst the Strat was resurrected but I've come to really like it.

So which am I? Strat or Les Paul? Impossible to decide. I love the aesthetics of both, find the Paul easier to play (neck and scale length) but far less comfortable (middle aged guy, belly, no contours!), I favour the Paul’s bridge tone but the Strat’s neck tone. Perhaps my ideal would be a HSS contoured Paul, but sadly there’s no such thing.

As to amps, going with modelling for now. Need to sell the old '90s valve amp - just not practical in the family home.

Anyway, I’m rambling so will be off. See you around...

-Iain

# 1
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
01/23/2018 9:23 am

Hi Iain. Your story sounds similar and I am sure familier to many people outthere!I got my first guitar when I was 14 and thought I would master it overnight as with most of us as younsters thought we could conquer the world!! I am turned 60 next month!

It gathered dust over the years and about two year's ago my wife encouraged me to pick it up again. This is how I got involved in Guitar Tricks. It has been hard but great fun and like you have no ambition to be the next Clapton! However, I have become obsessed with the guitar and I owe a lot to Guitar Tricks for steering me along the correct path.

I have got to the point now where I feel just that bit better to try and play with other people. I also subscribe to a number of free sites here in the UK such as the incredible justinguitar and also andyguitar.

Andy is doing a group workshop in Brighton tomorrow night (Wednesday 24 January) and I have even had the guts to join in! I live in Eastbourne - I know you said you are in Southern England?

Keep us updated with your progress.

# 2
imccowatt
imccowatt
01/23/2018 9:45 am

Hey Andrew!

Originally Posted by: andrew.colomb

most of us as younsters thought we could conquer the world!!

[/quote]

Ooh yeah.

However, I have become obsessed with the guitar and I owe a lot to Guitar Tricks for steering me along the correct path.

[/quote]

I've come to believe that obsession can be useful when channelled!

I have got to the point now where I feel just that bit better to try and play with other people.

Braver than I, for now, but I WILL get there.

[quote=andrew.colomb]

Andy is doing a group workshop in Brighton tomorrow night (Wednesday 24 January) and I have even had the guts to join in!

Not just yet, but I will have to take a look at this for the future...googling.

[quote=andrew.colomb]

I live in Eastbourne - I know you said you are in Southern England?

Wokingham, Berks. Maybe 90mins away?

Cheers, and have a blast tomorrow!

-Iain

# 3
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
01/23/2018 12:22 pm

Thanks Iain. I used to work in Wokingham - nice place. Keep rocking!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.