Time division between your instrument and family

Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
08/18/2017 3:52 pm

How do you struggle with a lack of time for practising? I was used to practising at least 1-2 hours per day sooner. But it all ended with my job and first son. Now is very difficult for me to find sufficient time for me to practising. How to create a functional practising schedule, which will cooperate with my family functioning?[br]I will welcome the answers of those, who already have expereiences with this and who have their own families.

# 1
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
08/20/2017 9:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Tom Sklenar

How do you struggle with a lack of time for practising? I was used to practising at least 1-2 hours per day sooner. But it all ended with my job and first son. Now is very difficult for me to find sufficient time for me to practising. How to create a functional practising schedule, which will cooperate with my family functioning?[br]I will welcome the answers of those, who already have expereiences with this and who have their own families.

Hi Tom,

i don't have a family but i am also working a lot.

First of all: You have to make it a MUST and COMMIT yourself to practise every day. We all have time and find a way, if it is an absolute must for us! So make sure that you absolute certain about what why you want to practise and why it's important to you.

I made this in the past and i am getting up 1 hour earlier every day before i go to work to practise (if it is a MUST you get up and do it/ if it is a SHOULD you probably gonna hit the snooze botton)

After doing it for straight 10 days you not gonna think about it anymore and get up and practise. That worked for me. Maybe it works for you too.

If not: Find another way (maybe before going to bed?, etc).

Remember: You will find a time for your practise if you really want to!

# 2
Rob Hendrickson
Rob Hendrickson
08/22/2017 5:41 am

Hey Tom,

I'm in similar situation. I'm married with a 2-year old and a busy job. The main thing that has worked for me is getting into a rhythm of practicing at the same time everyday. I practice after my son has gone to sleep - right before I go to bed. I try to start at the same time everyday, then when practice time rolls around I do my best to transition from what I was doing to practicing. Some days work or other obligations get in the way, but the time I practice is usually not a time that will be interrupted by other things. This make it so that if I miss a day, I can get back into the swing of things, the next day.

I've also found that integrating guitar into family time, like during dinner or playtime, can also be a great way to practice. My kid enjoys it (and doesn't mind if I miss a note). Probably not the best for when you need to focus on something new, but a great way to stay fresh.

Good luck!

# 3
Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
08/25/2017 3:34 am
Originally Posted by: Matthias Hornstein

Hi Tom,

i don't have a family but i am also working a lot.

First of all: You have to make it a MUST and COMMIT yourself to practise every day. We all have time and find a way, if it is an absolute must for us! So make sure that you absolute certain about what why you want to practise and why it's important to you.

I made this in the past and i am getting up 1 hour earlier every day before i go to work to practise (if it is a MUST you get up and do it/ if it is a SHOULD you probably gonna hit the snooze botton)

After doing it for straight 10 days you not gonna think about it anymore and get up and practise. That worked for me. Maybe it works for you too.

If not: Find another way (maybe before going to bed?, etc).

Remember: You will find a time for your practise if you really want to!

I think it´s quite different to have a lot of work and to have a family. I have experience from the first point, ex when I went to an university few years ago. At this time I worked the way, you write about. I mean that main time for my practising the instrument was when I get up two hours earlier, because I usually studied hard for the rest of the day or had some other duties.[br]Nowadays I get up at 4 A.M. from Monday to Friday. Sorry, but I won´t get up earlier So I have to find another ways. There´s also struggle in my head - when I practice during the day I have remorse, that I should take more time with my family.[br]The big point you have mentioned is "you will find a time for your practise if you really want to". That´s definitely the way of my thinking. I used to it for many years until now. But I was suprprised about the difference in to have X not to have a family. Believe me, find time in the first case is much harder than in the second. But on the other hand, it can´t be reason for excuses if I want to achieve something.[br]However thank you for your support and motivation!

# 4
Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
08/25/2017 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: Rob Hendrickson

Hey Tom,

I'm in similar situation. I'm married with a 2-year old and a busy job. The main thing that has worked for me is getting into a rhythm of practicing at the same time everyday. I practice after my son has gone to sleep - right before I go to bed. I try to start at the same time everyday, then when practice time rolls around I do my best to transition from what I was doing to practicing. Some days work or other obligations get in the way, but the time I practice is usually not a time that will be interrupted by other things. This make it so that if I miss a day, I can get back into the swing of things, the next day.

I've also found that integrating guitar into family time, like during dinner or playtime, can also be a great way to practice. My kid enjoys it (and doesn't mind if I miss a note). Probably not the best for when you need to focus on something new, but a great way to stay fresh.

Good luck!

Hey Rob,

thank you for your answer! It´s fine to hear it from someone in similar position. Regular rhytm of practise sounds good. I should focus more on it. There´s one more specific in my case, namely that my girlfriend is also guitar player :) So we have to find time from practise for both of us in our schedule. It´s really not easy, but we still feel progression in our playing and also in our bands. Only problem is, that it´s not so quick, how we imagine. But it means, that it is possible. And that´s our motivation :)

# 5
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
08/29/2017 2:58 pm

Hey Rob,

thank you for your answer! It´s fine to hear it from someone in similar position. Regular rhytm of practise sounds good. I should focus more on it. There´s one more specific in my case, namely that my girlfriend is also guitar player :) So we have to find time from practise for both of us in our schedule. It´s really not easy, but we still feel progression in our playing and also in our bands. Only problem is, that it´s not so quick, how we imagine. But it means, that it is possible. And that´s our motivation :)

That shouldn't be a problem that your girlfriend is playing guitar. That's an asset! I mean think about it. You can have a lot of quality time with your girlfriend while practising with her. Set up some exercises that are challenging for both of you or just enjoy making music together. So see this kind of practise more like having a really great time with your girlfriend instead of of thinking "i have to practise right now, even if i know that i actually don't have the time". Trust me this little shift will change your feelings about your practise completely!

# 6
Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
08/30/2017 7:05 am
Originally Posted by: Matthias Hornstein

Hey Rob,

That shouldn't be a problem that your girlfriend is playing guitar. That's an asset! I mean think about it. You can have a lot of quality time with your girlfriend while practising with her. Set up some exercises that are challenging for both of you or just enjoy making music together. So see this kind of practise more like having a really great time with your girlfriend instead of of thinking "i have to practise right now, even if i know that i actually don't have the time". Trust me this little shift will change your feelings about your practise completely!

Thank you, I will implement that!

# 7
maggior
maggior
08/30/2017 3:50 pm

I am in a similar situation. If I had my way, I'd play guitar every night for 3 hours or more. Sometimes I'm tired from work or my family (wife and 3 kids) require attention and I just can't do that.

I think the keys are balance and flexibility, along with a dose of perspective. You want to be the best guitar player you can be, but you'd also like to keep your job and not find yourself in divorce court :). You should strive for being the best guitar player you can be given the time you have available to you.

Don't beat yourself up or get upset if you have to miss out on a practice or learning session because the kids won't go to bed, or are sick, etc. Life happens. You are probably learning music as a hobby...it's not your livelihood, keep that in perspective.

I give my family a heads up and announce that the next few days I need to learn x number of songs for my band. I still leave time to spend with my family, but by announcing it, it's not a surprise which can lead to resentment. If I sense some resentment is building up, I'll make sure to focus more on the family for a while.

If music is a passion for you, your family will recognize that and understand...as long as you don't put all of your focus and energy on only your music. :)

I also grab time when I can. Sometimes I'll grab a guitar and run through a riff I'm working on for 5 minutes. Those little micro practice sessions help reinforce things I'm learning.

Just some random thoughts on how I've dealt with the situation.

# 8
Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
09/30/2017 6:39 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior

I am in a similar situation. If I had my way, I'd play guitar every night for 3 hours or more. Sometimes I'm tired from work or my family (wife and 3 kids) require attention and I just can't do that.

I think the keys are balance and flexibility, along with a dose of perspective. You want to be the best guitar player you can be, but you'd also like to keep your job and not find yourself in divorce court :). You should strive for being the best guitar player you can be given the time you have available to you.

Don't beat yourself up or get upset if you have to miss out on a practice or learning session because the kids won't go to bed, or are sick, etc. Life happens. You are probably learning music as a hobby...it's not your livelihood, keep that in perspective.

I give my family a heads up and announce that the next few days I need to learn x number of songs for my band. I still leave time to spend with my family, but by announcing it, it's not a surprise which can lead to resentment. If I sense some resentment is building up, I'll make sure to focus more on the family for a while.

If music is a passion for you, your family will recognize that and understand...as long as you don't put all of your focus and energy on only your music. :)

I also grab time when I can. Sometimes I'll grab a guitar and run through a riff I'm working on for 5 minutes. Those little micro practice sessions help reinforce things I'm learning.

Just some random thoughts on how I've dealt with the situation.

Thank you for your suggestion! We don´t have an easy life, are we? :-)

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.