arcapegios, Penatonic scales, whu?

bleedthru
bleedthru
07/31/2002 10:35 pm
Ok im not like a beginner guitarist or anything, but i have taught my self to play. No help from friends or family i just picked it up. I have been playing for like 4-5 years now and i dont know what Arcapegios are or penatonic scales. I mean i could be doing them and not know what they are. Please explain...... thank you
Remember me.
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/05/2002 2:52 am
Okay, I think you mean arpeggios, not arcapegios or whatever. They are just chords that are played broken up, rather than strummed. Like playing them one note at a time.
As for the pentatonic scale, there are two kinds, minor and major. They are both five note scales that are derived from the major and minor scale.The major pentatonic is like a major scale without the fourth and seventh notes. The minor pentatonic is taken from the natural minor scale, and is missing the second and flatted sixth notes.
The formula for major is 1 2 3 5 6, and 1 b3 4 5 b7 for minor.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
08/05/2002 3:24 pm
Whoa, Josh beat me to the answer. :) In addition, the minor pentatonic scale is what is used by just about any popular rock group you can find. Just get a metallica album and you can probably figure out any of their solos based of that scale. Anyways, here's the scales in tab form, maybe that'll help some too.

1 2 3 5 6, and 1 b3 4 5 b7

A minor Pentatonic
e |--5-------------8---------
b |--5-------------8---------
g |--5-------7---------------
d |--5-------7---------------
a |--5-------7---------------
e |--5-------------8---------

A major Pentatonic
e |--------5----------------
b |--------5------7----------
g |---4--------6------------
d |---4-----------7----------
a |---4-----------7----------
e |--------5------7-----------

I think that's right for the major Pentatonic. I usually stick to the minor pentatonic, natural minor, or the major scale so I'm unsure about the major pent.

# 3
Randall00
Randall00
08/11/2002 6:54 pm
Actually, I think the major pentatonic is the same as the minor pentatonic except that it's the second note in the scale that's identified as the root note. Because your example of the A minor pentatonic is C major pentatonic if you start on the C rather than the A. Bleh.
"There are people who long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon."
# 4
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/11/2002 7:00 pm
Yes, your right there. Its the same relative major and minor prospect as in the major scale. Observe;

A minor pentatonic scale;

------------------------5----
--------------------5-7------
----------------5-7----------
------------5-7--------------
--------5-7------------------
----5-8----------------------

C major pentatonic scale;

--------------------5-8--
----------------5-7------
------------5-7----------
--------5-7--------------
----5-7------------------
--8----------------------

What I was saying is that if you were to compare a C major scale to a C minor, there would be differences, like the flatted notes. Plus you have to take certain notes away from each scale to make it a major or minor pentatonic, and thats what those scale formulas illustrate.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.