New Member from Denmark

Johangarden
Johangarden
07/27/2017 6:29 am

Hello[br][br]When I was a teenager I loved to play guitar and bass. My guitar heroes were Yngwie Malmsteen, Vitto Bratta and the many skilled rock guitarrist from the 80s.[br]This was in the hayday of Metallica and Guns n' Roses and just before grunge sent rock to it's knees. [br][br]I played in some local cover bands (like everyone else we played GnR, Skid Row, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc.) and my knowledge was basically powerchords and knowing how to read tabs. When learning a new song I paistakingly learned the songs from tab, without thinking about the larger meaning behind the relation between the notes.[br][br]Time went by. Travelling, University, jobs, wife, kids, house took all my time and my guitar just collected dust. I wanted to learn how to play, but didn't have the motivation to learn it properly. Whenever I played I plaid the same songs I learned as a teen. There was never any development.[br][br]I tried to motivate myself. I bought books and dvd's but the didn't get me going. I even went out and bought a nice Gibson Les Paul and an amp - thinking I wouldn't let a expensive guitar collect dust. The truth was that it collected dust and 10 years later I sold it for the same price as I had bought it for. It was practically unused. The next day I regrettet not having a guitar at home a got me a much cheaper accustic.[br][br]Now I'm 40 and feel I have more time in my life. And when turning 40 I decided that now is the time to properly learn how to play guitar.[br][br]I stumbled over this site and read the good reviews. I decided to give it a chance and if I didn't like it within one month, I would try something else.[br][br]Now I have given myself minimum of one hour every day where I follow the lessons on this site. I started from the beginning with Guitar Fundamentals 1 and now I'm a couple lessons into Guitar Fundamentals 2.[br][br]I am truly amazed how well this site works. It might not be for everyone, but for me it is perfect to sit down and be taught in a video. Small steps at a time but now I know what I am doing. I know what a chord is. I know the basics about scales and can find my way on the fretboard. Most important of all I'm really motivated to learn more. [br][br][br]

# 1
wolfsmg
wolfsmg
07/27/2017 7:48 am

Welcome to the family Johangarden! I know where you're coming from. I started as a bassist in the late 80's and always wanted to expand into guitar playing (but my bandmates never had the time to teach me). Then life got in the way. From time to time I'd buy a guitar, with the intent to learn, only to have life get busy.

Now that life has finally slowed down, I've decided that nothing's going to stop me (and if someone named "nothing" does, he's in for a world of hurt). Just remember to take your time and have fun.

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"

# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/27/2017 5:44 pm

Hi Johangarden,

So glad to have you hear and dude, Yngwie Malmsteem is great! I've tried books and other ways to learn guitar as well. When I first started playing, I remember I had this gigantic book with song notation in it. It was tough learning by myself! But I guess that's why you're here, at Guitar Tricks!

Hope to see you around the forums, and please let us know if you have any issues or questions.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
07/30/2017 6:22 am

Welcome to the forum!

[br]Why am i not suprised that Yngwie is one of your heros?? ;)

[br]Best,

Matthias

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.