Right hand position

alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
07/26/2017 7:31 pm

Hi all,

I've been plinking around on my electric guitar for about 8 months now. Really enjoying it.

I seem to have developed a bad (?) habit of my right hand (strumming/picking hand) creeping up the fretboard as I play. This is particularly noticeable when picking the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings. Doesn't seem to happen so much on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings.

I noticed it first when I was practicing Muddy Water's "Baby Please don't Go", there is a base line part way through the song, sounds good, but I noticed I was starting to hit the neck pick up between the strings as I played this particular part.

I wonder if it's caused by bad posture/positoning due to the fact that I am sitting in a soft armchair with my guitar sitting quite high up my torso. I do this because I like to have my guitar turned on while watching tv, when the ads come on I grab my guitar and give it 10 minutes practice. Using a better seating position would make this way of doing things impractical.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? Is it a big deal? (I am worried it will become a hard to break bad habit which could inhibit my improvement and not sound right).

Interested in your thoughts!!!

# 1
wolfsmg
wolfsmg
07/27/2017 7:52 am

If you like the tone you're getting, then it's not a bad habit. Strumming in different spots on a string will give you different tones. But where you strum certain strings could be part of your "voice" when playing.

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.