View post (Right hand position)

View thread

alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
07/26/2017 7:31 pm

Hi all,

I've been plinking around on my electric guitar for about 8 months now. Really enjoying it.

I seem to have developed a bad (?) habit of my right hand (strumming/picking hand) creeping up the fretboard as I play. This is particularly noticeable when picking the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings. Doesn't seem to happen so much on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings.

I noticed it first when I was practicing Muddy Water's "Baby Please don't Go", there is a base line part way through the song, sounds good, but I noticed I was starting to hit the neck pick up between the strings as I played this particular part.

I wonder if it's caused by bad posture/positoning due to the fact that I am sitting in a soft armchair with my guitar sitting quite high up my torso. I do this because I like to have my guitar turned on while watching tv, when the ads come on I grab my guitar and give it 10 minutes practice. Using a better seating position would make this way of doing things impractical.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? Is it a big deal? (I am worried it will become a hard to break bad habit which could inhibit my improvement and not sound right).

Interested in your thoughts!!!