Using a capo

JJ_55
JJ_55
07/20/2017 9:44 pm

Greetings. I post very little here, but I found myself wanting to share some guitar theory that seems to be missing everywhere....Exactly how to use a Capo. There is a video here, but it only touches briefly on the details and Utube is about the same. Let me give it a try. I am not a guitar teacher. Ok there is the obvious use by raising the capo one or more frets to get a higher key with the same shape chords. But its best use is melding two guitar parts together. We have all seen two players hacking away at the same chords in one position. The capo allows you to play in the same key and rearrange the notes. First, you must know all of your notes on E A D strings up to the 7th fret, at least. Play good ole one four five in the key of E, which is E, A, and B7th there is an E NOTE on the open E string and a fretted one on the third string D. Let's go with the fretted E on the D string, second fret. Play that E note, now let go, and you have a open D note. Put the CAPO across all six strings at the second fret where we found this fretted E note. NOW PLAY the one, four, five in the KEY OF D with the capo in place and play the chords D, G, A7th. Take the capo off and play the chords E, A and B. Yeahhh. It works on the first three strings fairly well up to the 7th fret. The CAGED system will get you there also, to much trouble. Scuse the all caps, I wasn't shouting just emphasizing. Hope I passed along some info to be of help. Be well. JJ

JJ

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2017 1:12 pm
Originally Posted by: JJ_55Exactly how to use a Capo. There is a video here, but it only touches briefly on the details ...

Caren covers this topic in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=24671&s_id=2031

Lisa covers another use of the capo here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=15356&s_id=1498

In general, if a capo is used in a song, the instructor show how to do it in the context of the tutorial. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
maggior
maggior
07/21/2017 8:27 pm

Capos can be misunderstood. In addition to being useful in getting different chord voicings using common open chord shapes, it is helpful when playing music that wasn't written for guitar with other instruments. When you encounter keys like Eb, B, Bb, C#, it can sometimes be challenging to play. On an acoustic guitar, barre chords can sound a little dull, so if you use a capo, often you can use the open chord shapes to get that clear sound AND get the proper chord.

It also allows you to move keys to better suit a singer.

I've heard some refer to using a capo as cheating. It's a tool, and if a tool can make your job easier, why not use it?

Another tip...let's say you are playing with a piano, and you have your capo on the second fret. You need to be mindful when communicating with the other musicians of what chord you are playing EXACTLY. If you play an open D chord shape with a capo on the second fret, you are actually playing an E chord. The pianist knows not of this capo thing you speak of :) ...so if you have to tell him what chord you are playing, tell him E, not D. If he tells you to play an A chord, know you need to play a G chord shape.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.