View post (Practice Schedule)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2017 12:46 pm

Hey, Jasim.

I get that you are frustrated. It's important to realize that in everyon'e learning process there's going to be a wall. There's going to be some skill or idea, chords, strumming pattern, lick, something that slows you down. That will take extra time to master.

So, please know that we all go through this stage. Be patient & keep working on it!

Having said that, want to make 2 suggestions for your practice schedule.[br]

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd[br]1) Warm up exercise - 6 minutes[br][/quote][br]This is always a great idea. Keep warming up.[br]
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd[br]2) Scales exercise/repetition - 20 minutes (Since give 2 minutes for each scale I learnt)[br][/quote][br]Scales are important. But they are only tools. Why do we learn to play scales? Why do we learn to play chords, scales, strumming patterns?

To play songs! :)

I encourage you to replace this scale practice with learning or practicing a song. Either, replace it entirely every other day. Or just replace it for a whole week until you've learned a few fun songs. Really learn them, memorize them. Have fun playing them with a backing track. Scales will always be there to go over.

Check out the GT list of beginner songs. Pick a couple & start building a repertoire of songs!

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php?input=beginners[br][br][quote=jasim.hd][br]3) GT previous lessons - 30 minutes (I go over the lessons that I didn't master or still have challenges with, for example, I'm stuck on some lessons on Blues Style Level I trying to figure out the hard chords)

[quote=jasim.hd]

4) New GT lessons, if I still have time. (Usually I don't, so I tackle new lessons in the weekend)[br]

[br]At any time in the courses it's okay to go forward. You always want to make sure to go back over older lessons until you've mastered the skill or idea. But sometimes it can help to watch ahead in order to keep things fresh, fun & interesting. It can also help motivate or inspire you to really finish mastering that old lesson. :) So, you can get to the next step!

It can be a tricky thing to balance. You don't want to get too far ahead of your current skill set. But watching a little ahead while still working on older stuff is one thing that can help.

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary. Have fun! Learn songs!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory