Practice Schedule

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
07/09/2017 7:37 pm

Hey, everyone. Hope all is well.

So obviously I want your thoughts about an effective practice schedule; I've been using mine for sometime now, but I feel that I'm not improving much or that I'm missing something, I'm not sure. But here's what I do:

1) Warm up exercise - 6 minutes

2) Scales exercise/repetition - 20 minutes (Since give 2 minutes for each scale I learnt)

3) GT previous lessons - 30 minutes (I go over the lessons that I didn't master or still have challenges with, for example, I'm stuck on some lessons on Blues Style Level I trying to figure out the hard chords)

4) New GT lessons, if I still have time. (Usually I don't, so I tackle new lessons in the weekend)

With that taking up to 2 hours or so, I have no time left for new songs, theory, or anything else. And I feel like I'm missing a lot, since I have a couple of music books to read and so on, and frankly, I feel a bit overwhelmed. It's just I feel that I have a million things to go over but I barely have the time to do so.

So.. What do you guys think? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Jasim

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2017 12:46 pm

Hey, Jasim.

I get that you are frustrated. It's important to realize that in everyon'e learning process there's going to be a wall. There's going to be some skill or idea, chords, strumming pattern, lick, something that slows you down. That will take extra time to master.

So, please know that we all go through this stage. Be patient & keep working on it!

Having said that, want to make 2 suggestions for your practice schedule.[br]

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd[br]1) Warm up exercise - 6 minutes[br][/quote][br]This is always a great idea. Keep warming up.[br]
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd[br]2) Scales exercise/repetition - 20 minutes (Since give 2 minutes for each scale I learnt)[br][/quote][br]Scales are important. But they are only tools. Why do we learn to play scales? Why do we learn to play chords, scales, strumming patterns?

To play songs! :)

I encourage you to replace this scale practice with learning or practicing a song. Either, replace it entirely every other day. Or just replace it for a whole week until you've learned a few fun songs. Really learn them, memorize them. Have fun playing them with a backing track. Scales will always be there to go over.

Check out the GT list of beginner songs. Pick a couple & start building a repertoire of songs!

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php?input=beginners[br][br][quote=jasim.hd][br]3) GT previous lessons - 30 minutes (I go over the lessons that I didn't master or still have challenges with, for example, I'm stuck on some lessons on Blues Style Level I trying to figure out the hard chords)

[quote=jasim.hd]

4) New GT lessons, if I still have time. (Usually I don't, so I tackle new lessons in the weekend)[br]

[br]At any time in the courses it's okay to go forward. You always want to make sure to go back over older lessons until you've mastered the skill or idea. But sometimes it can help to watch ahead in order to keep things fresh, fun & interesting. It can also help motivate or inspire you to really finish mastering that old lesson. :) So, you can get to the next step!

It can be a tricky thing to balance. You don't want to get too far ahead of your current skill set. But watching a little ahead while still working on older stuff is one thing that can help.

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary. Have fun! Learn songs!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
07/10/2017 4:20 pm

Christopher, I just cannot thank you enough, seriously. People like you is one of the reasons I refuse to give up!

So, if I get this clear: I'll keep warming up, alternate between songs and scales every other day, and slowly start going ahead with the lessons keeping in mind old ones. Works great with me.

I'll start doing that now. If any more questions pops-up, don't worry, I'm the kind of guy who always asks. LOL.

Again, thank you for everything, Christopher! :)

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2017 6:06 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

So, if I get this clear: I'll keep warming up, alternate between songs and scales every other day, and slowly start going ahead with the lessons keeping in mind old ones. Works great with me.

Yes, exactly! I can't recommend this enough to students of all ages & skill levels: learn songs!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
wolfsmg
wolfsmg
07/11/2017 7:10 am

Don't forget to have fun! The operative action with any musical instrument is to "play" it. If your scales suddenly turn into "Duelling Banjos", run with it. There's been quite a few times that I've been practicing one thing only to have it morph into something else (chord changes turning into a song, finger stretching exercises turning into "Smoke on the Water", etc.).

Remember that "All work and no play turns Jack into a boy band instrument performer." (Just watch them perform, they usually look like their souls are dying.) Have fun with practice and you'll have fun while playing later.

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.