View post (Building Speed)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/25/2017 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

What are your thoughts and advises on how to build speed?

[/quote]

Only one way to do it: repetitious practice.

You have to do those finger motions until they become automatic second nature to you. It's easier for some people, harder for others, depending on how much raw dexterity & physical coordination they bring to the task. But the same thing has to happend for everyone. You have to repeat those motions until your brain is trained to send the nerve signals to your hands & your hands are so used to it they will do it automatically.

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

let's say, scales on a low tempo alongside a metronome can help the muscle memory and with time I can do it with more speed. But do you have any other thoughts I could use?

Yes, gradually building speed with a metronome is effective but you also have to do it consistently & STAY RELAXED. If you only practice "every now & then" you won't ever get there. If you don't relax your hands, arms & posture you are only fighting against the process.

[quote=jasim.hd]

Another example, the song Master of Puppets by Metallica, which I'm pretty sure most of you are aware of it, a song written on a 212 bpm, but obviously, I cannot play it this fast. I can play it just fine on lower tempos; what can I do to reach that level?

Repetitious practice & dedication. Keep going, don't stop. :)[br][br]Also, I played that tune years ago in a metal band. I could never get the main riff right in all down strokes, so I played it using alternate picking. One weekend I thought, man I'm gonna get it using all downstrokes! So, I worked on it for the whole week. Spent a few hours a day on it! Finally got it to where I could do it. But then when the gig came the following weekend I just reverted back to alternate picking anyway because I was so used to playing it that way.

The lesson here is that you can play on the guitar what you've spent most of your practice time doing. I spent 10 years using mostly alternate picking on fast stuff. I thought I'd reverse that trend in one week. But when it came crunch time to perform live I just went with what I knew.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory