Building Speed

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
06/24/2017 8:55 am

Hi, guys. Hope all is well and everyone is happy.

What are your thoughts and advises on how to build speed? I do know that keep practicing, let's say, scales on a low tempo alongside a metronome can help the muscle memory and with time I can do it with more speed. But do you have any other thoughts I could use?

Another example, the song Master of Puppets by Metallica, which I'm pretty sure most of you are aware of it, a song written on a 212 bpm, but obviously, I cannot play it this fast. I can play it just fine on lower tempos; what can I do to reach that level?

Thank you all for your time and advises.

Have a great day, everyone. :)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/25/2017 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

What are your thoughts and advises on how to build speed?

[/quote]

Only one way to do it: repetitious practice.

You have to do those finger motions until they become automatic second nature to you. It's easier for some people, harder for others, depending on how much raw dexterity & physical coordination they bring to the task. But the same thing has to happend for everyone. You have to repeat those motions until your brain is trained to send the nerve signals to your hands & your hands are so used to it they will do it automatically.

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

let's say, scales on a low tempo alongside a metronome can help the muscle memory and with time I can do it with more speed. But do you have any other thoughts I could use?

Yes, gradually building speed with a metronome is effective but you also have to do it consistently & STAY RELAXED. If you only practice "every now & then" you won't ever get there. If you don't relax your hands, arms & posture you are only fighting against the process.

[quote=jasim.hd]

Another example, the song Master of Puppets by Metallica, which I'm pretty sure most of you are aware of it, a song written on a 212 bpm, but obviously, I cannot play it this fast. I can play it just fine on lower tempos; what can I do to reach that level?

Repetitious practice & dedication. Keep going, don't stop. :)[br][br]Also, I played that tune years ago in a metal band. I could never get the main riff right in all down strokes, so I played it using alternate picking. One weekend I thought, man I'm gonna get it using all downstrokes! So, I worked on it for the whole week. Spent a few hours a day on it! Finally got it to where I could do it. But then when the gig came the following weekend I just reverted back to alternate picking anyway because I was so used to playing it that way.

The lesson here is that you can play on the guitar what you've spent most of your practice time doing. I spent 10 years using mostly alternate picking on fast stuff. I thought I'd reverse that trend in one week. But when it came crunch time to perform live I just went with what I knew.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
06/25/2017 4:29 pm

Hi Chris, I have been with GT about 7 months. I started on mainly fundamentals and got about 75% through blues2 , mixed with some songs. Most songs i do ok with until i get to a long lead then the complexity of section or speed gets me then i go to another song or something else catches my interest like hybrid picking, or speed building etc. No matter what i'm working on my pratices are usually comprised of all these sorts of things or sometimes i seem to get stuck on one thing until i hit a wall,then i'm looking for another challenge. There is so much here i feel like i'm all over the place. I'm 60 ,i practice usually 1-4 hrs a day, and i feel like i've never nailed anything before i've sorta moved on again. Right now i'm working on ''killing floor blues'' i think it is, by Howling Wolf, at least until i get stuck. I guess what i'm trying to figure out is are my practices structured enough or do all these applications come together at some point gradually or will it be like a light bulb. I may be making progress but sometimes i do'nt feel it. I appreciate your help!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/26/2017 1:00 pm

There is a lot here at GT. :) One of our goals is to build the biggest collection of lessons for every guitar style. And there's just no way any one person can expect to cover everything. So, you have to figure out what you want most & push in that direction.

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

No matter what i'm working on my pratices are usually comprised of all these sorts of things or sometimes i seem to get stuck on one thing until i hit a wall,then i'm looking for another challenge. There is so much here i feel like i'm all over the place.

[/quote]

I understand your frustration & I can relate. I've played guitar for over 40 years! And sometimes I'll watch some of those country & bluegrass guys play stuff I can't do. I'll get all inspired & work on learning some of it! :) But realistically I have other things I'm more interested in playing & working on. So I'll probably never have enough time to really dive in deep enough to that style to master it. But it's fun to listen & get inspired by other styles. And sometimes I learn a little something I can carry over to rock, blues or jazz.

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313I'm 60 ,i practice usually 1-4 hrs a day, and i feel like i've never nailed anything before i've sorta moved on again.

Wow, that's a lot of time. Good for you. As far as never nailing anything, there are two things to keep in mind.

1. The only way to get anything done is dedication. Keep going & don't stop. Repetitious practice is the only cure. You might have to only focus on one hard part & really drill that for a while.

2. Depending on what you are working on, some things are much harder than others to play. So you have to pick your battles. If you can get through a song in time with the backing track all except for one crazy hard lick, then don't worry about that one lick! Replace it with something easier & call it enough.

[quote=stevelankford313]

I guess what i'm trying to figure out is are my practices structured enough or do all these applications come together at some point gradually or will it be like a light bulb. I may be making progress but sometimes i do'nt feel it. I appreciate your help!

Making the most efficient use of your practice time is important! So you've got the right mindset. Depending on your goal, you really need to work on one thing at a time & really repeat it until you've got it. You can always throw in a little bit of something else at the end of a practice session to have some fun. But if you are trying to make progress on something difficult, then you have to focus on it exclusively until you get it right.

And regarding breakthroughs in playing, it's both! :) Sometimes progress is so slow & gradual that you don't even realize it's happening. Other times, it seems like all of a sudden you can do that tricky thing easier than you even could.the day before.

So, keep practicing. Try to focus on one hard thing at a time. Try to enjoy the process!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
maggior
maggior
06/26/2017 3:53 pm

Speed is hard :).

I'm not there, but I've experienced some of the things Christopher talks about, expecially the relaxed part. Anytime that I feel my speed is coming together, it's when I'm relaxed, mainly in my pick grip. My nemesis has been Rush's YYZ. It has slowly gotten better over the past couple of years, but not quite there yet. Granted, it hasn't been a primary focus since there are other things I'm focusing on.

I think it's important to occasionally just jump ahead to full speed and see how it goes. Yes you need to build up the coordination and everything, but you also need to occasionally experience what full speed feels like...or at least a higher speed that you are proficient at. Do like they say in the "Inner Game of Music"...allow yourself to fail, or fake it 'till you make it.

I think just playing the guitar helps too. I've been learning some new songs for an audition so I've been playing more guitar than I normally have been. In doing that, other songs I play have improved.

# 5
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
06/27/2017 2:41 am

Wow, that helps tremendously! I guess i'm sorta amazed that experienced musicians can have the same frustrations that i do., And sometimes i do get frustrated when listening to others play then want to do what they are doin'. But i have goals and certain styles i enjoy more than others so it makes perfect sense to be efficient and maintain a little focus. All of those tips help more than you could imagine.........Thanks!

# 6
maggior
maggior
06/28/2017 1:44 pm
Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Wow, that helps tremendously! I guess i'm sorta amazed that experienced musicians can have the same frustrations that i do., And sometimes i do get frustrated when listening to others play then want to do what they are doin'. But i have goals and certain styles i enjoy more than others so it makes perfect sense to be efficient and maintain a little focus. All of those tips help more than you could imagine.........Thanks!

I still get frustrated sometimes when listening to others play. No matter how good you get to be, there will always be somebody better. There will always be new things to learn. It's part of what makes music great. Keep those goals, keep the focus and keep hold of that enjoyment and you'll do great!!

# 7
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
06/30/2017 10:22 am

Christopher,

It deos help more than you could ever imagine. I shoudl relax more while practicing scales that's for sure. I practise often, but when it comes to scales I have a structured program that I follow every day. I'll keep what you said in mind while practicing.

And I WILL be back with more qustions. :)

[br]Always appreciating all your help!

Maggior,

I do jump full speed once in a while to test the water, and more oftern I'm impressed if anything. I keep practicing traditional things, but recently I formed a small band, so like you said I'm playing guitar more often now, which also help.

Thank you and good luck with YYZ! :)

Stevelankford313,

I admit it puts me at ease sometimes when great players talks about frustration at times and so! One day we'll get there. :)

Thank you all for your nice words.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.