Best Multi Effects Pedal for Stage

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/19/2017 3:50 pm

My typical stage setup involves an Orange TH 30 and a set of pedals loaded onto my pedaltrain-2. Also, I tend to bring two guitars, one in a dropped tuning and another in standard.

Some stages we play live on don't allow much real estate, so for some situations I am thinking about replacing my amp and pedals with a multi effects processor. I'm familiar with the Helix and axe 8, but both are on the order of 1500 - 2500. Because my goal is to only use this occassionally when the stage is small, I'd like to stay in a less expensive range, but still get good solid sound and a range of effects.

For stage, all I really need is:

1) Clean tone

2) Overdrive and distortion

3) Reverb, delay, and chorus

4) Some boost for solos

5) Wah

Any experiences or suggestions?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2017 2:16 pm
Originally Posted by: hdoran

My typical stage setup involves an Orange TH 30 and a set of pedals loaded onto my pedaltrain-2. Also, I tend to bring two guitars, one in a dropped tuning and another in standard.[/quote][p]If you are comfortable with that rig, then it might take you some time to get used to the suggestions I going to make.

[quote=hdoran]...I am thinking about replacing my amp and pedals with a multi effects processor.

You could use a Zoom or Boss processor that has all those functions in one unit & run it into your amp.

Cheap option

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G1Xon

Mid priced option

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ME80

I like the Boss!

Another option is to go all in & just use the new Boss amp which has all the FX in the amp.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50

Line 6 & Fender also make amps like this, too!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/20/2017 2:45 pm

Very helpful, Christopher! Curious, what is your live stage setup?

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/21/2017 2:19 pm

Very helpful, Christopher! Curious, what is your live stage setup?

I've always used very simple setups. As a teenager I started playing gigs at backyard, garage & basement parties. Backyards in the summer, garage & basement in the winter. :)

I used a Peavey Classic 212, an MXR distortion plus box & a guitar.

When I started playing clubs & small halls I upgraded to a Marshall head and 4x12 cab, a Boss Chorus pedal & a Dunlap wah. I used a couple of power conditioners as power strips & a way to keep the juice as consistent as possible in crappy places.

Later, as gigs got more pro, I added a rack containing an Alesis reverb unit & a Digitech S-100 (that I kept behind or next to the amp), and then ran that to the front of stage pedal board with my wah pedal & chorus, & either a modded MXR Dist+ or a Boss overdrive.

I typically had 2 guitars (sometimes one in drop tuning), sometimes 3 for backups. Almost always Strats. :) Except for a couple of years I played in a metal band & I had a hotrodded star body with a Floyd Rose & a humbucker.

At one point my biggest rig was all that stuff plus A/B splitter box that ran a separate signal to a Fender Bassman amp with a 4x12 cab. I used the Fender for clean & the Marshall for crunch.

I used all that stuff for most of my gigging for 20 years.

Eventually I sold most of it & bought studio gear, computers, DAWs.

For the last 15 years or so I've used a simple pedal board (or none at all for some gigs!), a Reason amp & a Strat.

Here are the Reason amps.

https://www.facebook.com/246467655404025/photos/a.1067391986644917.1073741829.246467655404025/1544127968971314/?type=3&theater

Here's my Marshall.[br]https://www.facebook.com/246467655404025/photos/a.1067391986644917.1073741829.246467655404025/1544127172304727/

Here's my pedal board.

https://www.facebook.com/246467655404025/photos/a.1067391986644917.1073741829.246467655404025/1544126905638087/

It's a power supply, a chorus pedal, a Boss overdrive & a Zoom multieffects.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/24/2017 1:54 pm

Jus to close the loop on this for anyone who might be interested. I ended up buying the Line 6 HD 500x Pro and I have used it on stage once. My band 7 Deadlies was invited to play inside the professional (Nationals) basebal stadium in Washington DC yesterday and I wanted to have minimal gear to load and set up. So I used the Line 6 instead of my amp and board for the first time.

Before taking it to the live stage, I spent a few days orienting myself to the board, the software, and dialing in my sound. I found the amps to be rather authentic and bold and the options for pedals are vast.

I found that I could easily replicate my "real" board quite easily, but also add in things that couldn't fit onto my pedal board, like a noise gate which worked extremely well to minimize hum.

Sound check was actually much easier than when I use my amp and pedals train. All pedals and tones were all previously set to the right volume, we simply plugged right in and we were doing sound check within minutes and made essentially zero adjustments.

My tone and volume was under control the entire time and switching between virtual pedals was extremely easy.

I'm still a real amp and real pedal guy. But, for those who gig regularly and get tired of walking up backstairs with a heavy amp and pedal board and need an easy set up on occassion, this was a nice alternative.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/25/2017 2:46 pm

Jus to close the loop on this for anyone who might be interested. I ended up buying the Line 6 HD 500x Pro and I have used it on stage once. My band 7 Deadlies was invited to play inside the professional (Nationals) basebal stadium in Washington DC yesterday and I wanted to have minimal gear to load and set up. So I used the Line 6 instead of my amp and board for the first time.

[p]Thanks for the update! Congrats on what sounds like a great gig. :)

I've seen those Line6 units, they are pretty amazing. I have a Line6 Pod I use in the studio, but still haven't used it live. I'm considering getting the footpedal accessory necessary to do it.

I listened to some of the tunes on your site. You guys sound tight & rocking!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/25/2017 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel[quote=hdoran]

I listened to some of the tunes on your site. You guys sound tight & rocking!

Thanks, Christopher! Guitar powered by many hours of Christopher Schlegel lessons!

# 7
ChrisN81
ChrisN81
06/26/2017 11:22 am

Hi everyone,

just a follow-up question to the discussion here. If I am happy enough (for now) with the digital effects/amp simulation of a multi effect unit I can basically skip the pre-amp, right? So guitar -> multi effect -> speaker (or fx return of a combo amp) should be sufficient.

Another alternative would be skipping the multi effects too and using one of the mentioned programmable amps with effects onboard, like the Katana or a Fender Mustang GT 40.

Unless I pick the cheapest hardware the sound quality of those setups nowadays should be good enough even when I "grow up" to be an advanced player, unless I insist on "real tube amps only" etc., or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

# 8
hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
06/26/2017 1:05 pm

Chris

You should be able to skip the pre amp (your multi-effects should also have a preamp). You can go direct out of the ME board and go eitgher straight to your speaker or even straight to your mixing board.

My "normal" stage set up when I use my amp and pedals is

Guitar -> pedal board -> Orange TH 30

I mic the amp and then send that mic to the mixing board. I then have my own wedge as a monitor and then of course FOH.

With the ME board, I simply did

guitar -> ME board -> mixing board

# 9
maggior
maggior
06/26/2017 3:40 pm

Glad to hear things worked out well for you with your choice of the Line 6 HD 500X Pro.

For anybody else that stumbles on this thread with the same question, I've been using a Boss GT-100 which is in a pedal board form factor, much like the HD 500X. I've had good luck with this setup and go straight into the PA with it.

I switch between single coil and humbucker and I have a patch setup for each configuration. I run each patch in "manual mode" so I can mange effect separately...I have a tube screamer, fuzz, delay, chorus, and boost set up.

We are a duo and are often packed into a small space in a bar or a restaurant. So the small size works out great. I have to say it's nice not hauling a guitar amp around...the PA gear is more than enough :).

# 10
takiomail444
takiomail444
07/13/2017 4:34 pm

This one is great[br]https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ME80[br]For clean tone I can recommend also Mustang floor[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/141036_Fender-Mustang-Floor-guitar-effect-processor.html

# 11
james.taylor
james.taylor
04/16/2019 12:08 pm

I think 'best' is quite subjective in terms of what you're actually after. Loopong capabilties? Loads of effects? Something geared more towards a certain type of playing?

A lot of buyers guides tend to recommend the larger pedals when it comes to multi efects tbh I'm not osld on that though. For instance guides like this : https://guitaarr.com/pedals/best-multi-effects-pedals-buyers-guide/ go straight for the Boss ME-80, which is great if you're a gigging guitarist but not ideal for the bedroom player...

Personally I'd recommend either the digitech element XP or the Line 6 POD, two nice pedals that are at a good price and won't be too big to clog up your pedalboard.....

# 12
filrichards
filrichards
12/17/2020 5:56 pm

Hey! I have a great solution to your problem. I attended concerts of many performers and constantly heard many positive comments about the organizers. If you're interested, you might want to start partnering with outdoorstages.co.uk. This organization provides event decoration, stage preparation for special orders, and fulfills all the necessary conditions for a comfortable event. Recently, they have been able to create an excellent thematic atmosphere for any event and surprise every guest. The last time I was impressed by the decorations, it was cool!

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.