Inspiration for practice - I need your help!

nblesingk
nblesingk
06/17/2017 2:23 am

Hey guys!

listen, I get a kick out of having a few whiskeys and watching videos of my favourite bands live, rare footage, and just kicking back with my family with music in the backround - it's always LOUD. and many times I practice and try to emulate my favourite riffs with proper technique, wishing to play like Randy Rhoads or Van Halen eventually

Does anybody have any tips for finding that fire to keep playing? I want to come to a mindspace like Jason Becker - where apparently while he was alive every waking moment from the age of 6 he could NOT put a guitar down? I practice 2 hours a day and Ive committed to daily practice for over 1-2 years now, but I feel like it's work, and I'm wondering is there a trick to ignite that FIRE inside you? I've started meditation, visualization techniques - even watched Vishen Lakhiani videos. If there are any enlightened Masters out there I would love your help!

thanks!

m/ -_- m/

# 1
rovnak
rovnak
06/17/2017 5:45 pm

i'm not a master but i would lower your expectations just a bit. People like Randy Rhodes and Van Halen certainly practiced alot but have a gift to be that good. u could practice 15 hours a day and never get close to them

# 2
jjab3531
jjab3531
07/12/2017 3:45 pm

I like to read and watch documenteries about my favorite artists. Also I enjoy some of the histories about different music genres and music in general.

You can try taking a break every now and again. instead of 1-2 hours every day try one day out of the week take a few minutes to warm up and play for fun. Don't think about having to learn anything, or get anything right. Just, play for yourself, freinds or family and have fun.

Once something turns from fun to work its now a job. Jobs generaly are not fun they are work.

# 3
maggior
maggior
07/12/2017 4:05 pm

I hear ya! We all go through ruts in both progress and motivation. I too like to read and watch documentaries on my favorite musicians. You may find you can relate to them on some level.

When you feel unmotivated, think back to what got you excited in the beginning. What has changed?

What are your goals? Make sure that what you are doing on the guitar is helping you get to that goal.

Goals change...perhaps yours need some tweaking. Make sure you have smaller goals...ones that are attainable.

To use myself as an example, my motivation for playing hit a low for a few months. My duo gig was on autopilot and I just couldn't motivate myself to learn new songs. I looked at my duo gig and realized I missed playing more challenging songs in a larger group. I created a BandMix profile. A band contacted me for an audition. I had to learn 7 songs. I had my motivation back...I wanted this gig. I worked hard...and landed it. Now I have more songs to learn than I can count LOL. I'm motivated like I haven't been in years.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.