Time Signature

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
06/11/2017 6:11 pm

Hi, everyone.

I'm having troubles getting the concept of time signature in my brain. Now, theoritically, I know what it means. 4/4 means each bar has 4 quarter notes in it, 3/2 means each bar has 3 half notes in it and so on.

Top number means how many beats per bar, which is fine. My problem is with the bottom number; I mean yes on paper I get it, but it still confuses me. Like I can't get it into my head or count it. Top number is fine, I can get it how it is counted and all, and I can hear it in my head, but the bottom number that I cannot. I cannot fully understand the timing of the note.

Help!

Thank you, guys.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2017 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

I'm having troubles getting the concept of time signature in my brain. Now, theoritically, I know what it means. 4/4 means each bar has 4 quarter notes in it, 3/2 means each bar has 3 half notes in it and so on.

The bottom number is what type of note (what rhythmic duration value) gets 1 beat of the measure. I think the easiest way to think of it is to replace the top number with a 1. That way you get a fraction that shows you what rhythmic value gets 1 beat in that measure.

So, 3/2 becomes 1/2. So the 'half-note' (1/2) gets one beat count in this measure. And then if you see a 1/4 note in the measure you'll know a 1/4 note gets a half beat count, because 1/4 is half of 1/2. Make sense?

Check out my old tutorial on reading music here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=271

There is a specific lesson in that tutorial on reading & counting time signatures in it! 3/2 time signature included as an example!

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=10276&s_id=271

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
06/16/2017 6:08 am

Christopher, this, has helped me more than YouTube and all the webites I've visited, combined.

Thank you, Christopher, for this simple and amazing way, now I got it what it comletely means!

When I checked the links you've mentioned, I noticed that you have a lot of lessons, so I decided I wanted to check all of them lessons from the beginning, I do not want to miss one piece of information you provide. :)

Again, thank you so much, Christopher, I really do appreciate your reply!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/16/2017 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Thank you, Christopher, for this simple and amazing way, now I got it what it comletely means!

[/quote]

You're welcome! Glad our lessons helped. :) I want to thank you for taking the time to ask. That's exactly what the GT forum is for.

[quote=jasim.hd]

When I checked the links you've mentioned, I noticed that you have a lot of lessons, so I decided I wanted to check all of them lessons from the beginning, I do not want to miss one piece of information you provide. :)

Good deal! Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.