EMGs

David Gilmour
David Gilmour
07/29/2002 8:18 pm
Well, the subject of pickups has been done to death here, but, hey, this is the gear forum, no?

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd has his own series of EMG pickups, with different control pots. In my opinion, he has one of the best guitar tones out there, and so I'm leaning towards getting a set of EMGs. The only obstacle for me is the price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar type pickup? Also, would it be bad to replace just one pickup (let's say, the bridge) and leave the rest, for financial reasons?

Could you please support any opinions you have as to why a certain pickup is your choice (i.e. what makes it better sounding)?

Thanks for the advice.
see you on the dark side of the moon
# 1
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/29/2002 8:37 pm
Funny...I just started the same thread! I'm excited to see everyone's feedback.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
08/10/2002 10:27 pm
it's ok to change one of your pickups and leave the other till you have enough money to change it..
almost every guitarist on earth uses the bridge and the neck pickups most of the time, i also know that Yngwie Malmsteen and Richie Blackmoore who are both very famous strat users has disabled the middle pick up, so i think you'll have to choose between the neck and the bridge pickup only..
if i were you, i think i would change the bridge pickup cuz i use it more often than the neck pickup.
# 3
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/12/2002 10:15 am
There's no problem with adding one at a time. A lot of us find it hard to shell out for all three (or two, whatever) at once. Most pickups are designed to be one-offs, that is, if you get an EMG pickup, it doesn't matter what other pickups you have really, and you are sort of expected to mix and match whatever you want.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/12/2002 2:07 pm
Anyone have a link for these particular pick-ups? I have never seen any guitar with passive and active pick-ups mixed, I don't think it would be a big problem but their could possibly be a noticeable difference in volume when switching from one pick-up to another while playing.......
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/13/2002 2:50 pm
I went to the EMG website and read the FAQ's, Basically what I thought about the difference in volume turns out to be a concern, but they do sell some type of little widget that will allows you to adjust the volume levels so the match up better, the David Gilmour pick-ups look good, I don't have any experience with EMG's in a guitar, but some with a Guild Bass, Hey they are good strong pick-ups and noise won't be a problem like the single coils are....
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.