View post (Picking while soloing)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2017 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: rasmus1610

I'm wondering how I should pick while soloing. Alternate picking or just normal "downstroke" picking...Is there even a consens about it or is everybody doing it like he likes or even changing (alternate picking for fast things and normal picking for everything else).

In general, you have the right idea. If it sounds good & you are making the music you like, then it's fine to use downstrokes. Until you get to a phrase that requires alternate picking in order to make it happen.

However, upstrokes can sound slightly different from downstrokes. And sometimes even though alternate picking isn't required to get a lick done, it might be the most musical way to approach it.

I encourage students to learn & practice both techniques! :) It gives you more tools & options for creating different sounds & approaches. Sometimes I'll try a phrase, riff, lick with all alternate picking & it sounds fine. But then I'll try it with all or mostly upstrokes (or downstrokes) & it sounds much better! Sometimes vice versa.

Being able to pick it a number different ways gives you more musical options. Hope this helps! Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory