View post (Question for technique about barre-chords)

View thread

maggior
maggior
05/04/2017 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: Joe105
Originally Posted by: alexina

Barre chord difficulties made me give up on guitar, I changed strings, but still struggle...is it essential to learn barre-chords?

Hi Alexina,

No, it is not essential to learn barre chords. You can play many,many songs without having to use them.

I would suggest you carry on playing and concentrate getting aquainted with open chords and playing songs.

The one barre chord that is very usefull to get under your fingers is the 'F' barre chord. Have a go at that every now and then but don't worry if you can't manage it. There are alternatives to playing it.

Enjoy your playing, learn what you can and, over time, maybe you will develope enough to be able to attempt the barre chords again.

Just don't give up and have some fun learning and playing.

Regards

Joe

I'll second this!! I've played with somebody in the church choir that can't play barre chords and they manage to play rather well. A capo can be used to make things easier.

Many barre chords shapes can be simplified so you still have a moveable chord shape be you don't have to make a full barre. For instance, the "open" F chord. As long as you only strum the strings you are fretting, that's a moveabe shape. You can add your pinky to it to get a fuller sound. "Open" B, same thing. Their minor variants...on and on.

Though I can play barre chords, I only play them when I absolutely have to.