Memorize the tunes in the lessons?

BabyBluez
BabyBluez
10/24/2016 10:56 pm

Hopefully this is not too stupid a question (or I don't sound like that jerk in class who always asks on the first day what they have to do to get an A in the class...). Are we meant to memorize the melodies we are taught in the beginner lessons? I work on them to the point I can play along with the "band" but I honestly don't know that I'd be able to play them from memory without the tabs in front of me, except maybe a couple of scales. Is it OK to move on at that point?

Thanks for any comments !

# 1
jnwosu
jnwosu
10/25/2016 2:24 am

I don't think the point is to memorize the song (though if you practice it enough times, you will inevitably have it memorized). It's moreso to get you used to reading tablature and learning how to put your fingers where they need to be. That's the case for me at least. I'm quite far along in the fundamentals course (chord power pack section), and I can't really remember how each song of the previous lessons went, but I definitely got what I needed out of those lessons. I know how to read tablature, how to play basic tabs, simple chords, regular chords, etc without looking at the screen or guitar. There are a few songs that I memorized because I played them quite a bit so you don't have to worry about forgetting them lol. It does help to train yourself to not look at the tabs or even your guitar while playing so you can build your muscle memory. But it's best to initially go at a slow pace while looking at the music. Then once you're able to play fluidly at that slow pace, start to test yourself at a faster pace or without reading the tabs. It all takes a lot of time and repetition to get to that point of course.

tl;dr - i'd say it's safe to move on if you feel comfortable doing so like john said. the tabs don't have to be memorized. the point of the lesson is to help you understand how to read tabs and how to play melodies. if you ever need a refresher on something, you can always go back.

# 2
johnv31552
johnv31552
10/25/2016 1:48 pm

I agree with jn, if you just practice each lesson and get to where you can play it correctly thats the whole point of the fundamentals course. Get to where you can read TABs, and play all the open chords, and go ahead and move on. This is what I personally like about Guitar Tricks. I am 64 years old and hadn't picked up a guitar in 50 years, but I went through fundamentals to get my hands back to mostly working as they should and when you get to the point where you know most chords and can play them well, you can practice the way that suits YOU as an individual. I used fundamentals as a base line to keep making progress, and I veer off to practice a song now and then. Then I go back and pick up the next lesson. Make sense?

# 3
BabyBluez
BabyBluez
10/25/2016 8:43 pm

Thanks, John and jn. Your posts make a lot of sense. I was already able to read tabs a bit (just scales, and Happy Birthday), but this practice was definitely helpful. I also know some of the chords - I was using some free online video lessons but got to feel that I wasn't progressing as I would like to and I came across Guitar Tricks. It has a very different approach from the videos I was using - they really focussed on chords and using the chords to play songs. I think this approach, learning to play individual notes, is a good thing for, as jn said, getting one's fingers to work properly. On the other hand, on the other videos, the F chord is kind of put off for a long time. And I can see why!

I'm kind of an older learner too - just turned 60- and am loving it and wishing I'd started 45 years ago. I'm doing OK with most of it, but one skill that has really deteriorated is my ability to memorize things - if I had to wait for that I'd move VERY slowly LOL.

# 4
Heavenly Daughter
Heavenly Daughter
11/08/2016 5:40 pm

BabyBluez.

I'm very new to the guitar but not to music in general. I will say, ahve a large collectin of music in different forms. Tabs or just staves and dont repeat the same pieces of music to often. You dont want to be in the position that you play a piece so many times that you can play if blind folded. That isn't really learning music.

I have few very basic books so that I can switch book for a week or 3 lol, then go back and see how much better I/you are compared to other times.

Saying that, theres no harn in memorising your favourite song though. :) , must have something to paly at Christmas, right !.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.