Whammy bar loose

kiwicolin
Full Access
kiwicolin
Full Access
08/14/2016 10:52 pm

I have an Ibanez Jem with a Floyd Rose. Its a snap in arm, not the sceww in one. I would like to tighen the arm, so that it can set where I position it, instead it aways falls to the bottom. Any ideas?

# 1
bookas58
bookas58
08/15/2016 1:47 am
Hard to explain this without graphics , but i'll try . Probably best to take the bridge off . Mark the centre line of the hole that the tremolo drops into and transfer the mark to the side of the bridge , centre it on the side and pop a mark on it with a punch . Now , depending on how much room you have , you drill hole at 90 degrees into the tremelo hole , the hole size will depend in what size screw you are putting in , You can find , charts for tapping drill sizes on the net . Drill the hole . This is the delicate part , the tap is going to be pretty fine , so don't get heavy handed , if you break the tap in the hole , you are in trouble . Take the tap out and clean it , then run it back a couple of times to clear any shavings from the threads , Now , put the t/arm in the position you want and mark the centrline of the tapped hole on it , Grind , file or machine a flat spot a little wider than the screw diameter on the t/arm . Put the arm back in , put a socket head screw in the threaded hole , making sure that it is nor overtight , just firm . Taps are expensive , especially if only used once , if you don't have the gear , take it to a machine shop . It's a 15 minute job for them . Good luck
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/22/2016 2:53 pm

I did find this out there. Not sure if it applies:
"If it has a pop-in arm, more than likely there's a tension adjustment screw on the trem block below the bar holder. Do a small divebomb so you can see underneath the baseplate of the trem and you should see a little black allen screw."
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.