Guitar Collection

chris.gresens
chris.gresens
08/08/2016 4:10 pm
Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to talk about our guitar collections and discuss how we "rank/value" our individual instruments. I have been playing for 3.5 years, and I already own 4 guitars and 1 bass! (It feels like too many, but there are more I want XD) I can't imagine how many guitars the more veteran players own. I will only mention one of my girls in this post [All of my guitars are ladies ZZWinkZZ]

My main squeeze is a Fender CD140SCE I bought sometime around 2008. I never really played her until I "officially" started playing in 2012. I spend most of my practice time on this guitar. Now that my skill level is increasing I love going to guitar center and playing around with those really high end Gibsons and Martins. I really want to upgrade my acoustic, but I can't imagine ever getting rid of my Chinese Fender or switching to another acoustic. I have had to re-glue the saddle once. There are tons of videos online that argue that more expensive guitars are better for this reason or that and cheaper guitars do the exact same thing so on and so forth. Is it all in my head like a placebo? What do ya'll think? Do ya'll have loyalties to specific guitars in your collections?
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/09/2016 6:59 pm

[QUOTE=chris.gresens]Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to talk about our guitar collections and discuss how we "rank/value" our individual instruments. I have been playing for 3.5 years, and I already own 4 guitars and 1 bass! (It feels like too many, but there are more I want XD) I can't imagine how many guitars the more veteran players own. I will only mention one of my girls in this post [All of my guitars are ladies ZZWinkZZ]

I can't imagine either. Veterans are probably swimming in pools of guitars because just 1 is certainly not going to cut it.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
luckotdraw
luckotdraw
09/09/2016 10:43 pm

I have a strange affinity for small guitars, I have Taylor GS Mini, Rainsong Sg Shorty, a Yamaha apx travel guitar a Fender tele (American made) I'm looking long and hard at a Macphearson parlor (my wife don't know about the last one yet) and a 1950s or 60s Harmony or Kay.
# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/09/2016 11:19 pm

I had a 60's Harmony, purchased around '62. It cost me about 25 lawn mowings , a long delay in learning to play and a lifetime of bad habits developed in trying to overcome its gosh-awful playing difficulty. YMMV.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
markpetten
Full Access
markpetten
Full Access
09/10/2016 12:03 am

Nothing fancy here. A GWL acoustic and an Ibanez GART60 electric
# 5
luckotdraw
luckotdraw
09/10/2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by: john of MT
I had a 60's Harmony, purchased around '62. It cost me about 25 lawn mowings , a long delay in learning to play and a lifetime of bad habits developed in trying to overcome its gosh-awful playing difficulty. YMMV.

pics John? I love the parlor with the white pick guard with the quarter note on it I believe. Reverb has them all the time super cheap there's even a guy that fixes them up, new bracing new glue and will remove the floating bridge to stationary one.
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/10/2016 2:33 pm

No pics, not even from my beginner days. After about 25 years sitting unused in my parents' overly air conditioned house the body developed a crack. I reverently placed it in the Salvation Army bin.

On the other hand, it got me started and it was something I had wanted for a long time. I don't blame the guitar for my rough beginning. Much.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
Hairy51
Hairy51
09/13/2016 9:45 am

I've got a 2003 Mexican Strat in pink and a Takamine EF407. Love them both, but looking to extend the family soon and have my eyes on something akin to the Gibson ES-335. About 20 years ago I had an Aria Pro II ES-335 copy as one of my first guitars but sold it to buy a new push bike!

I tend to go in phases where I play nothing but acoustic for months, then back to electric, so they both get equal amounts of attention in the long run.
# 8
Charlie Francisco
Charlie Francisco
09/15/2016 12:36 am

I started out on a GS Mini. I still play it daily. I added a Taylor pickup. I really like it. Got a Fishman Loudbox mini combo with mic and stand through Sweetwater. They all work great together. My upgrade was a Martin HD 28. It was used but hardly. It's like another world. But it has disadvantages. It's size for one and secondly it's finish. In a short sleeve shirt I find it "sticking" to the inside of my biceps which I don't particularly like. I got a super deal on a 2013 guitar from a local shop. I keep it cased whereby the mini is out all the time. So what gets more playing time!
# 9
luckotdraw
luckotdraw
09/15/2016 5:33 am

I love my mini to death...have you seen the koa wood version?
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.