Neck Radius

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/18/2002 7:33 pm
My hands are a good size, im not sure how to measure hands exactly to sizes, but on my strat, if i put my palm on the backside, put my all fingers around the Low E string, and squeeze, my fingers totally overlap the neck. is this a sign that i could use a bigger guitar neck, and if so, does your sound get much better on a bigger radius of a neck and/or larger fingerboard?

# 1
nasum_human
nasum_human
07/19/2002 3:39 am
hey, I'm not sure about the radius of the neck affecting the tone of the guitar significantly, if at all, although the wood that the fingerboard is made from has a huge effect, I like rock maple, it's hard and the notes seem to fly off it. Big hands are an asset, be glad you've got huge great hands like me, you can do huge eddie van halen stretches, and play complex chords, In many guitarist's views, the slim tapered neck is the best, as it allows the most freedom to move around (I personally like to sand my necks down to get some real speed moving around on there) As for wide necks, such as seen on classical guitars, I can only assume this is to promote easier fingerstlye play (although I have no factual knowledge regarding this) the strings are farther apart, therefore giving the picking fingers more freedom to move between them. I wouldnt recommend a larger neck, unless you're suffering problems with your existing one!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/19/2002 6:05 am
Neck Radius won't have any kind of tone benefit, Radius is the curvature of the fretboard, a wide fretboard can have some advantages, I like a wide fretboard myself for multiple string bends and dbl&triple stop kind of things, it's more of a personal preference kind of thing.
# 3
JohnEve
JohnEve
07/19/2002 10:23 am
well, this is more about hands than necks, but I just realised that if I put my hands palm to palm and stretch my fingers as wide as they'll go, My left hand stretches a good deal more than my right. Could mean a difference between reaching a fret and not. I expect I'll end up with arthritis tho!

JE
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.