resetting up after changing strings gauge :/

rahafmrahafm
rahafmrahafm
04/29/2016 2:38 pm
Hi everyone
I changed my guitar'strings gauge from Meduim to Extra Light because i realized i't easier to play and have brighter sound !
But it sound terrible now !
some people told me that i have to have my guitar setup ..
so , i searched online about guitar setup
Before i do anything , is these steps are correct and can't ruin my guitar :
1- removing strings
2-Adjusting the truss rod (loosen )
3- lower the saddle .
4- restring guitar.

And i don't know too much about Truss Rod Adjustment :/
***I mean i don't know how much the adjustment should be ***
Can somone help me ?
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/29/2016 4:11 pm
Hey there!

If you are a full access member I recommend posting this in the Ask a Guitar Tech forum.

Steve is a working guitar technician who has agreed to answer any and all guitar repair questions from Guitar Tricks Full Access subscribers.

You can do that here:
https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
sawyercaldwell29
sawyercaldwell29
03/02/2017 11:52 am

String gauge is important when it comes to choosing the right acoustic strings for your guitar. Aside from the comfort and playability factors, the wrong set of strings can potentially damage your guitar. You have five main string gauges, known as Extra Light, Custom Light, Light, Medium and Heavy. You can even try for replacing a volume or tone pot, to get some results. To know about some extra resources go through this.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2017 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: rahafmrahafm [br] I changed my guitar'strings gauge from Meduim to Extra Light because i realized i't easier to play and have brighter sound !
[/quote]

Although lighter gauge strings can be easier to play, it might not be worth it because it might change the overall sound & playability of your guitar too much. And unfortunately, it sounds like this is what happened in your case.

Depending on what kind of guitar you have (acoustic or electric), it might be best to just go back to medium strings.

[quote=rahafmrahafm] [br]some people told me that i have to have my guitar setup ..[br]so , i searched online about guitar setup[br]Before i do anything , is these steps are correct and can't ruin my guitar :[br]1- removing strings[br]2-Adjusting the truss rod (loosen )[br]3- lower the saddle .[br]4- restring guitar.

You could do serious irreversible damage to your guitar by adjusting the truss rod or (if it's an acoustic) lowering the bridge by sanding it down if you are not experienced. Take it to a trustworthy music store in your area. In the long run, a little money spent on a good set up by a pro is cheaper than buying a new guitar.

Be careful with your guitar!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.