Lydian jam

maggior
maggior
04/05/2016 8:01 pm
There still seems to be some interest in stuff I've recorded, so here's another one.

A couple of months ago somebody put this jam track out there to use the Lydian mode. I know what modes are but have never worked with them specifically.

So I pulled out my pentatonics found a note or two outside that worked and gave it a whirl.

I struggled with it and felt like I couldn't find the groove. Initially I really really disliked this. I tagged it crap :).

A month or so later I listened to it again and wondered what the heck I was thinking at the time.

What I think makes this track interesting is the constant tension and release. It also put me completely outside my comfort zone and made me think differently as I played. The stock licks went out the window :).

Anyway, hope you enjoy...
https://soundcloud.com/ballistic_squid/gtgp-a-lydian-bs
# 1
flstn1
flstn1
04/06/2016 9:58 am
Very Nice, people don't loose interest in music they can feel --- good job
# 2
maggior
maggior
04/06/2016 12:33 pm
Originally Posted by: flstn1Very Nice, people don't loose interest in music they can feel --- good job

Thanks for the listen and comments.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2016 1:33 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior
A couple of months ago somebody put this jam track out there to use the Lydian mode. I know what modes are but have never worked with them specifically.[/quote]
Sounds good! There's a trap that guitarists often fall into of staying frozen in one mode & trying to make a whole composition with it. And of course it goes nowhere, because it's just a static groove with no melody or chord progression, just random "licks in a certain mode".

That sort of thing is great for exercises, practice demos, just getting used to the sound of a mode or how it works on the fretboard. But for a piece of finished music ...
[QUOTE=maggior]
What I think makes this track interesting is the constant tension and release. It also put me completely outside my comfort zone and made me think differently as I played. The stock licks went out the window :).

Yes, great job at adding a chord progression & a dramatic arc to the whole thing! :)

Using Lydian (or any mode) as a way of laying down a foundation mood is a great place to start, but a good piece of music requires more.

Well done!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
maggior
maggior
04/06/2016 1:39 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelSounds good! There's a trap that guitarists often fall into of staying frozen in one mode & trying to make a whole composition with it. And of course it goes nowhere, because it's just a static groove with no melody or chord progression, just random "licks in a certain mode".

That sort of thing is great for exercises, practice demos, just getting used to the sound of a mode or how it works on the fretboard. But for a piece of finished music ...

Yes, great job at adding a chord progression & a dramatic arc to the whole thing! :)

Using Lydian (or any mode) as a way of laying down a foundation mood is a great place to start, but a good piece of music requires more.

Well done!

Thanks Chris! I appreciate the feedback!

Just to be clear, I should point out I didn't create the backing track or come up with the chord progression. I think it's from a youtube jamtrack...don't even remember where it came from actually.
# 5
compart1
compart1
04/06/2016 3:27 pm
Hey Rich.. Great piece.. Really dug it.. Have you started playing any original at your venues with Rich..
# 6
maggior
maggior
04/06/2016 11:02 pm
Thanks...I'm glad you liked it. When Warren and I play out, there are some songs where I can stretch out and improvise. I shot the sheriff and can't you see are the ones I enjoy the most. Most times people are just enjoying their drinks or whatever and don't pay it much mind. There have been a few times where I got an enthusiastic reaction which always feels really good. Funny thing is that there is no correlation between how well I played technically and the applause lol. I have played what I thought was some of my best to crickets and had raucous applause on things where I felt I could have done better.

people like what they like :).

Thanks for listening and commenting.
# 7
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/12/2016 5:11 pm
Very nice! It's good to hear you play! Please keep sharing your music, we really look forward to it.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 8
maggior
maggior
04/12/2016 7:56 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminVery nice! It's good to hear you play! Please keep sharing your music, we really look forward to it.

Appreciate that, thanks!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.