View post (Lydian jam)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2016 1:33 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior
A couple of months ago somebody put this jam track out there to use the Lydian mode. I know what modes are but have never worked with them specifically.[/quote]
Sounds good! There's a trap that guitarists often fall into of staying frozen in one mode & trying to make a whole composition with it. And of course it goes nowhere, because it's just a static groove with no melody or chord progression, just random "licks in a certain mode".

That sort of thing is great for exercises, practice demos, just getting used to the sound of a mode or how it works on the fretboard. But for a piece of finished music ...
[QUOTE=maggior]
What I think makes this track interesting is the constant tension and release. It also put me completely outside my comfort zone and made me think differently as I played. The stock licks went out the window :).

Yes, great job at adding a chord progression & a dramatic arc to the whole thing! :)

Using Lydian (or any mode) as a way of laying down a foundation mood is a great place to start, but a good piece of music requires more.

Well done!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory