Original Riffs

RockerDCR
RockerDCR
07/10/2002 2:50 pm
hey, lookin for some help with riffs. i'm fine at playing them, but i've been writing a song. i'm not even thinkin about lyrics yet but i want a solo riff in between one of the verses.
the problem, i'm not that creative about this and i don't just want to use a riff that's already out there.
if anyone has help with coming up with an exciting riff please let me know. thanx. later.
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
07/11/2002 3:12 pm
My suggestion would be for you to record the last couple chords of Verse 1, all the transition chords from Verse 1 to Verse 2, and a few opening chords to Verse 2. You've just isolated that section of your song... now, just play this a few times and try to hum a little melody during those transition chords. That's kind of the method I use, but instead of humming, I just listen to the chords and I can hear it in my head. Now, once you hear this melody in your head, QUICKY RECORD THE IDEA. I get so pissed at myself when I come up with an awesome riff or melody (NOT listening to the radio while driving is quite inspiring), but forget to record it when I get home and then I can't remember what it was. Once you've got the idea on tape, get your guitar, listen to the tape, and work it out on guitar. You'd be surprised at how hard it can sometimes be to learn how to play something that YOU came up with in your head :) Anyway, this is not exactly the most concrete method, because it may take a week for you to think of something good, but on the other hand, you might have something on your first listen.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
MikeP.
MikeP.
07/18/2002 6:12 pm
I was so pissed off the other day! Livid actually. I came up with the best solo of my life to a song I've been working on with my band "Double Crossed" (It used to be Cydonia but later on found out it had been copy writed). I had played it so many times to a 4 tracked recording of one of our songs that day and thought that it would be impossible to forget. Well the next day at band practice came my time to solo for that particular song (I was thinking at the time " Wait till they hear this...how impressed they will be"). Thye first half went well..then all of a sudden I couldn't remember the other half and ended up improving it. I was furiouse. If anyone has simular stories...post it here.

I learned to either record what i had played or write it down. I learn everything the hard way....and this is not the first time it's happenned to me....and prolly not the last (I Can be lazy or too inspired to even bother). Well hopefully not any more.

I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 3
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/07/2002 12:47 pm
Yeah, I write everything down, as soon as I get it the way I like it. I can always change it later.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 4
bleedthru
bleedthru
08/14/2002 3:49 am
I find the easiest way to make a solo is listen to the song, then when that part comes just let ur fingers do the walking(just play whatever comes to ur head).
Remember me.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.