Increasing Speed

geokar
geokar
12/31/2015 9:18 pm
Hi

I am working on 'Old Joe Clark' right now. I love the way Bobby Howe plays it - SO FAST!

I have memorized the piece but can play only up to a certain tempo. I want to get FASTER.

Any tips on breaking the speed barrier would be so much appreciated.

Regards
geokar
# 1
compart1
compart1
01/01/2016 9:41 pm
Just start slow.. get it clean and increase your speed..
that's what I read most.. recommend a metronome..!
# 2
geokar
geokar
01/01/2016 11:43 pm
Yes. Thank you. I am doing what you have suggested- slow down-play accurately and clean- I am using an online metronome which is fantastic.

I have already improved my speed.

geokar
# 3
mlambrechts
Full Access
mlambrechts
Full Access
01/06/2016 9:36 pm
Thoughts about a metronome:
1. It's a good thing to play with a metronome, it increases the quality of your playing (you develop your skill by keeping the beat).
2. The metronome DOES NOT make you play faster automatically.
3. The metronome helps you speeding up. How?
You increase the tempo and there will always be a spot where it goes too fast and you start making mistakes.
Take the tempo back again to the fastest that you can play without mistakes. But most importantly : look at the mistakes you made while playing a bit faster and try to figure out what was the problem: most frequently it's the way you use your pick (upstrokes, downstrokes, sweep,...). Maybe there's a better/easier (and hence faster) way to play that part of the music. Study that untill it's perfect.
4. Increase the speed of the metronome again untill you discover the next "mistake" and use the same method over and over again.

So, to put it different: use the metronome as a tool to discover the "weak spot" in your playing and speed it up...
Have fun!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.