Serious problem PLEASE HELP!!!

Slasha
Slasha
07/05/2002 4:13 am
can anyone help me or give me an exercise that will make my picking from string to string better. I can pick pretty fast, but i always have trouble moving to the next string (say from D to G), sometimes i miss is or sometimes i strike a wrong string which make my playing sound sloppy. I pracrice chromatics religiously and i do lots of string skipping exercises. Any tips or exercises would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Slasha
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/05/2002 4:41 am
I use a technique that may serve as a stepping-stone for you. I find scales and such really boring. It just isn't musical enough to keep me enthusiastic. What I do is fret chord progressions while I plectrum-pick the sort of string patterns used in finger-picking styles.

Start with something fairly simple like 5-2-4-1 while changing from one chord to the next. The nice thing about this is the total absense of 'wrong' notes which might cause you to flinch, and spoil your rhythm. The important thing is that you develop your ear-hand coordination by teaching yourself where the next note should come from.

You don't 'program' yourself to pick a particular string because that's what the exercise says to do. You pick a particular string because that's where you'll find the note you want... trust me on this, it does make sense after you've tried it for a while. And practicing is [u]fun[/u]!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
RR4
RR4
07/05/2002 4:13 pm
You probably already know this, but I suggest you practice the cromatics and string skipping using STRICK alternate picking, starting slow and slowly increasing speed.
I think your problem is caused by an unprecise picking pattern.
Hope this helps
# 3
RockerDCR
RockerDCR
07/10/2002 3:02 pm
i totally agree that the chromatic scale is the most boring part of music, BUT playing songs (like the dorky little ones we played learning music in elementary school) really do help. First trying playing songs you ALREADY know, like Yankee Doodle or something, then change the key and play it on a different set of strings,up the neck, etc. last thing the hardest practice exercise i had to do was Flight of the Bumblebee, no dont start laughin at me yet. try to find it on the net, its crazy hard at first. u might find it at http://www.guitaru.com....dont know check it out. hope i helped, later.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.