Fender Mustang 1 v2

daviddergute
daviddergute
08/06/2015 3:24 am
I bought the Fender Mustang 1 v2 in Limited Edition Silver a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was time I share my thoughts with you.

The amp looks cool. My seven year old talked me into the silver version. It has silver tolex and a black grill cloth; sort of a negative of the standard black amp.

It is 20w 1x8 modeling amp, and has been reviewed (very positively) many times on the net and Youtube. So far, I think it sounds great. I bought it to find some really cool cleans, and that is exactly what I found. I don't play metal; although, I've had some fun playing with some of those models.

I like the on-board effects as well as those that can be used through the FUSE software. FUSE adds extra depth to the amp, and my amp is tied to my computer with the three foot USB cable that came with it. I have added two presents, and I found it easy to load them into the amp. When you save a preset, you erase the old one. Don't panic, you can get them back individually therough the FUSE community, or you can turn the amp back to all of the old presets.

This is my first modeling amp, and I found it strange that, when you select a preset, the knobs have nothing to do with what you are hearing. Only when you turn a knob does the knob become active.

I heard that you can only adjust the mids by using the FUSE software, and people find that annoying. Here is a secret that I only found in one place: Hold the EXIT button and turn the treble knob to adjust the mids. There. That was worth the price of admission.

I'm really enjoying this little amp. Let me know your secrets and share your opinion of the Mustang 1 v2.

Thanks,
David

2016 Standard Telecaster in Lake Placid Blue

2016 Yamaha FSX800c in Ruby Red

2016 Fender Super Champ X2

# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
08/06/2015 5:46 pm
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I've always thought these looked pretty good, though I've never owned/played one.

I used to have a Fender Deville which I loved. Tubes wore out after awhile though.
# 2
Trickfan1969
Trickfan1969
08/11/2015 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: davidderguteI bought the Fender Mustang 1 v2 in Limited Edition Silver a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was time I share my thoughts with you.

The amp looks cool. My seven year old talked me into the silver version. It has silver tolex and a black grill cloth; sort of a negative of the standard black amp.

It is 20w 1x8 modeling amp, and has been reviewed (very positively) many times on the net and Youtube. So far, I think it sounds great. I bought it to find some really cool cleans, and that is exactly what I found. I don't play metal; although, I've had some fun playing with some of those models.

I like the on-board effects as well as those that can be used through the FUSE software. FUSE adds extra depth to the amp, and my amp is tied to my computer with the three foot USB cable that came with it. I have added two presents, and I found it easy to load them into the amp. When you save a preset, you erase the old one. Don't panic, you can get them back individually therough the FUSE community, or you can turn the amp back to all of the old presets.

This is my first modeling amp, and I found it strange that, when you select a preset, the knobs have nothing to do with what you are hearing. Only when you turn a knob does the knob become active.

I heard that you can only adjust the mids by using the FUSE software, and people find that annoying. Here is a secret that I only found in one place: Hold the EXIT button and turn the treble knob to adjust the mids. There. That was worth the price of admission.

I'm really enjoying this little amp. Let me know your secrets and share your opinion of the Mustang 1 v2.

Thanks,
David

I did not know that trick for adjusting the mids. Thanks for sharing!
# 3
daviddergute
daviddergute
08/11/2015 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Trickfan1969I did not know that trick for adjusting the mids. Thanks for sharing!

Isn't that a great. I can't believe that information doesn't come with the amp. I found it a blog, and that was the only place.

You're welcome,

David

2016 Standard Telecaster in Lake Placid Blue

2016 Yamaha FSX800c in Ruby Red

2016 Fender Super Champ X2

# 4
kvsealegs
kvsealegs
05/30/2016 12:23 am
I also had the Mustang I, but traded up for the III. It is funny that the amp alone doesn't sound as good as when connected to the Fuse software and the PC. It is an amazing amp with all the pedals and effects that you can try to create unique tones. I have mine set up with a JamMan looping pedal, and a Trio band simulator. It makes for an amazing amount of possibilities. I really enjoy playing with myself. (That just doesn't sound right, does it?) LOL

I know there are many transistor purists, but I can't imagine not having this amp and software to learn how to use and setup pedals and effects. And why have only one amp when you can have many high quality amps.

I have a friend that played in a band years ago. He had a Fender Twin Reverb. When hooked up to the PC on the beauty clean setting, I would swear it was the same amp.
# 5
jspyatt
Full Access
jspyatt
Full Access
06/04/2016 11:18 pm
I have one of these Mustang I amps. I like it just fine. I got a deal on a used one, and the presets you can download with the Fuse software make it really great for practice.
# 6
uneekarts2
uneekarts2
11/21/2016 10:05 am

Just bought one so no reviews but some opinions. First, for the price, this is the best deal out there for small home/practice/studio amp. I reviewed quite a few and nothing in the $120 range had USB connector with software besides this one.

Looking forward to enjoying some good home sounds and maybe building a small in-home studio with this as a major component.

# 7
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
11/21/2016 6:31 pm

Yes, I have just recently purchased this amp also. I like it!

One thing kind of bugs me though. This business of having the 24 presets arrayed in 3 banks of different coloured lights seems really clumsy and old thinking. I have found that I need to write down the settings for my songs ie. About a Girl - Green C.

You can assign a new name to the preset (especially if you have modified it) but that is only visible to you if you have your PC connected. Generally I don't.

What I would have liked would be a simple LCD screen on the amp itself that you could scroll through to select presets that have been named by the user. Much easier to manage your presets when not connected to the PC. You could easily manage a larger number of presets also. This system would use commonly used technology, would be easy to see where exactly you are at preset wise, would be inexpensive and up to date.

Wonder why they opted for the "clumsy" 3 banks of different coloured lights system?

Just my opinion of course. But, all in all, I am happy with my Mustang 1 v.2.

# 8
kvsealegs
kvsealegs
11/27/2016 4:14 pm

The reason that they don't have the LCD screen on the Mustang I is simply to keep cost down. It is a good thing to become familiar with the PC aspect also. I have learned so much about how to set up guitar effects through the Fuse software. It is really amazing the sheer amount of ways that you can set up your rig. The software is a great tutor.

# 9
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
11/27/2016 6:22 pm

I think the cost would be very small. I do agree that getting into the PC program and discovering all the possibilities is a good experience. Mind you, I'm a dinosaur so my willingness to delve into every nook and cranny of the program is limited.

I should have begun this journey years ago!!

# 10
Jeff_Moore
Jeff_Moore
11/28/2016 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: davidderguteI bought the Fender Mustang 1 v2 in Limited Edition Silver a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was time I share my thoughts with you. [br].....[br]I'm really enjoying this little amp. Let me know your secrets and share your opinion of the Mustang 1 v2.[br][br]Thanks,[br]David

Thanks for the info David. I had a Mustang III several years ago and really liked it. There is an ongoing (at least with me) decision process. Where to buy the gear? I move between actual amps/pedals and software modelling amps, boards and software. The biggest issue I've found is that you doing know what you need until you've used it....I think we get better over time, but it's a labor of love as much as learning the instrument to find the appropriate hardware/software to find the tone that best matches our style. :)

Jeffrey

# 11
akshay.orthofeet
akshay.orthofeet
01/23/2018 7:05 am

I experience foot pain pretty constantly and have struggled to find shoes that would help me alleviate the pain. Well, i have to say that I have found them. They fit well. They have reduced my heel pain as well as my fasciitis symptoms. I can walk much easier and longer now . So happy I got these shoes! orthofeet do the job!

# 12
will.bootstrap.turner
Full Access
will.bootstrap.turner
Full Access
09/05/2018 5:26 am

Not sure about the shoes portion, but perhaps that is in reference to the foot pedal option for the Mustang 1 V2?

I also have this wonderful amp. It also appears to be the only model still "sold" as current Mustang V2 series from the Fender website and retailers. There has been a newer Mustang GT series released but without an equivalent 20W practice amp level or PC software.

Fortunately I've found that the Fender Fuse software still works well with my Windows 10 PC. I hope that the software continues to be supported.

# 13
Blackhearts
Full Access
Blackhearts
Full Access
11/28/2019 7:04 am

I agree this amp is great. I really like it and it fits my practice needs at home but has anyone taken this amp out to play in a bar or in public? If so I am sure you had a laptop connected to it for an interface with the amp. How did that work out for you playing live?

If you did not have a laptop connected to it then was it easy to get to your pre sets? Between songs?

Just wanna know if this is a practical amp to gig with.

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.