BOSS GT 100 preamps


orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/17/2015 8:53 am
I've just purchased a BOSS GT 100 and am using it with a Blackstar HT Club 40 combo amp. I'm using the four cable method for connections. I am also using a Blackstar foot switch with a channel switch and reverb switch. This is plugged into the back of the Blackstar. I have a question. How can I switch between the GT100 preamps and the Blackstar preamp with just a push of a switch or pedal? I can do it manually by turning on the S/R and turning off the GT100 preamps in the effects screen of the pedal. But, I can't do it with just a push of a button. I know it can be done, but how? Any ideas?

Phil

I just added a BOSS FS 6 to the Sub CTL/EXP Jack. I don't know what to do with it:)
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/05
Posts: 3,503
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/05
Posts: 3,503
06/18/2015 12:53 am
Do you mean the Blackstar "amp" or "preamp"? Are you saying you have two preamps, or just the Blackstar amp and the Boss preamp?

If you're using a preamp and the Blackstar amp, you should be able to go guitar -> preamp -> Blackstar amp then simply disengage or bypass the preamp when you don't want to use it.

Does that help? Perhaps I'm not understanding you're situation.

Let me know.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/18/2015 4:08 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminDo you mean the Blackstar "amp" or "preamp"? Are you saying you have two preamps, or just the Blackstar amp and the Boss preamp?

If you're using a preamp and the Blackstar amp, you should be able to go guitar -> preamp -> Blackstar amp then simply disengage or bypass the preamp when you don't want to use it.

Does that help? Perhaps I'm not understanding you're situation.

Let me know.


Thanks for the reply:)
I just have the Blackstar HT Club 40 Combo amp (which I assume has it's own preamp and amp built in) and the A&B preamps in the GT-100 and a BOSS FS-6 foot switch plugged into the SUB CTL/EXP. I am told I can use this foot switch to switch between the GT-100 preamps A&B and my Blackstar's preamp. It will basically by pass the GT100 preamps yet allow me to maintain the chain of the effects that I chose. I can do this manually by hitting the effects button, turning off the preamps A&B and turning on the S/R. Now I'm using the Blackstar preamp. Or if I want, I can press the effects button on the GT and turn the preamps A&B on thus utilising them instead of the Blackstar. Using either choice allows me to keep my effects chain intact thanks to the four cable method of connection. So, in essence I just want to assign switch A of the FS-6 to preamp (able to turn the GT100 preamps on and off at will) and assign switch B of the FS-6 to control S/R on and off at will. I hope this explains what I'm trying to do a little better. I'm a complete moron when it comes to this!

Phil
# 3
maggior
Registered User
Joined: 01/27/13
Posts: 1,723
maggior
Registered User
Joined: 01/27/13
Posts: 1,723
06/18/2015 4:43 pm
I have a GT-100 and I know what you are getting at. As you describe what is going on and the parameters involved, you've shown you aren't a mornon!! :).

The ideal situation would be if you could go into manual mode (where you can turn effects on/off via the footswitches) and assign a footswitch to the S/R "effect". I don't know that you can do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some clever way to make it happen. If nobody can provide the answer here, maybe you could find an answer in the BOSS forums.

Another approach you can take is to create your patch with everything you want with the preamp engaged (S/R on). Then make a copy of it to another patch in the same bank. In this patch, disengage the preamp (S/R off). Switch between the two patches to engage your amp's preamp or use the preamp in the GT-100. Be careful about levels though!! When your amp's preamp, the volume is completely controlled by the GT-100.
# 4
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/18/2015 10:03 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI have a GT-100 and I know what you are getting at. As you describe what is going on and the parameters involved, you've shown you aren't a mornon!! :).

The ideal situation would be if you could go into manual mode (where you can turn effects on/off via the footswitches) and assign a footswitch to the S/R "effect". I don't know that you can do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some clever way to make it happen. If nobody can provide the answer here, maybe you could find an answer in the BOSS forums.

Another approach you can take is to create your patch with everything you want with the preamp engaged (S/R on). Then make a copy of it to another patch in the same bank. In this patch, disengage the preamp (S/R off). Switch between the two patches to engage your amp's preamp or use the preamp in the GT-100. Be careful about levels though!! When your amp's preamp, the volume is completely controlled by the GT-100.


Thanks for reply and vote of confidence:)
I was thinking of doing something like that and have two patches dedicated to preamp on/off and S/R on/off. Either way I think it's going to work. Thanks again!

Phil
# 5
Rogerd99
Full Access
Joined: 11/28/10
Posts: 28
Rogerd99
Full Access
Joined: 11/28/10
Posts: 28
06/23/2015 4:02 am
I too have a GT-100 and this link may be what you need to assign one of the footswitchs to either preamp or send receive.

http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/201973449
# 6
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/23/2015 7:20 am
Originally Posted by: Rogerd99I too have a GT-100 and this link may be what you need to assign one of the footswitchs to either preamp or send receive.

http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/201973449


Thanks very much for your insight:) I finally got it sorted out with the help of Dan Doiron of Roland Canada. I now have the ability to turn on or off the peamps and S/R of the GT100 by just pressing the A or B pedals on my BOSS FS6. I can use this method globally (with every patch). Of course, once I turn the GT100 off everything is returned to it's saved state. If I want to make the change permanent I just perform the write function. This is what I was after all along. Now it works the way I want it to. Again thanks for your help!

Phil
# 7
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/23/2015 8:01 am
Originally Posted by: orion1237bThanks very much for your insight:) I finally got it sorted out with the help of Dan Doiron of Roland Canada. I now have the ability to turn on or off the peamps and S/R of the GT100 by just pressing the A or B pedals on my BOSS FS6. I can use this method globally (with every patch). Of course, once I turn the GT100 off everything is returned to it's saved state. If I want to make the change permanent I just perform the write function. This is what I was after all along. Now it works the way I want it to. Again thanks for your help!

Phil


For anyone that is interested this is how I accomplished this, thanks to Dan Doiron of Roland Canada:

1) Plug the FS6 into the SUBCTL/EXP jack with a 1\4 inch TRS patch chord. Plug the remaining end into the A&B jack on the back of the FS6.
2) Set the MODE switches on the FS6 to FS-5U (MOMENTARY).
3)Set the POLARITY switches on the FS6 to the left (same position as you used on the MODE switches).

4) On the GT100 you can assign the function of turning the GT100 preamps on or off at will. Same with the S/R. Here's how

5) Press the SYSTEM button on the GT100
6) Rotate knob 4 to highlight PREF (Preferences)
7) Press PAGE> (Page right) to select page 2
8) Rotate knob 6 to change SUB-CTL 1 from PATCH to SYSTEM
9) Rotate knob 7 to change SUB-CTL 2 from PATCH TO SYSTEM

This will now ensure that the SUB CTL 1 & 2 always perform the function assigned to them on EVEY PATCH. Now we will assign those functions

10) To set the SUBCTL 1 TO TURN THE PREAMPS ON OR OFF press the CTL/EXP button.
11) Rotate knob 4 to highlight SUB CTL 1
12) Rotate knob 5 until PREAMP is selected.
13) Rotate knob 6 to set MIN to OFF
14) Rotate knob 7 to set MAX TO ON
15) Rotate knob 8 to set SOURCE MODE to TOGGLE

Now to set SUBCTL 2 to turn the S/R (EFFECTS LOOP) ON and OFF:

16) Press the CTL/EXP button
17) Rotate knob 4 to select SUBCTL 2
18) Rotate knob 5 until SEND/RETURN is selected
19) Rotate knob 6 to set MIN to OFF
20) Rotate knob 7 to set MAX to ON
21) Rotate knob 8 to set SOURCE MODE to TOGGLE

That's it! Be aware that once you turn your GT100 off, the changes made to a patch (preamp on/off or S/R on/off will revert back to their previous state). The pedal functions we just assigned are still there. No worries:) If you wanted to keep the changes on a patch just perform the write function. That's about it. With thanks to Dan Doiron of Roland Canada!

Phil
# 8
maggior
Registered User
Joined: 01/27/13
Posts: 1,723
maggior
Registered User
Joined: 01/27/13
Posts: 1,723
06/23/2015 4:09 pm
Thanks so much for sharing this!! There seems to be no limit to how you can configure this thing.
# 9
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/05
Posts: 3,503
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/05
Posts: 3,503
06/23/2015 4:47 pm
Originally Posted by: orion1237bFor anyone that is interested this is how I accomplished this, thanks to Dan Doiron of Roland Canada:

1) Plug the FS6 into the SUBCTL/EXP jack with a 1\4 inch TRS patch chord. Plug the remaining end into the A&B jack on the back of the FS6.
2) Set the MODE switches on the FS6 to FS-5U (MOMENTARY).
3)Set the POLARITY switches on the FS6 to the left (same position as you used on the MODE switches).

4) On the GT100 you can assign the function of turning the GT100 preamps on or off at will. Same with the S/R. Here's how

5) Press the SYSTEM button on the GT100
6) Rotate knob 4 to highlight PREF (Preferences)
7) Press PAGE> (Page right) to select page 2
8) Rotate knob 6 to change SUB-CTL 1 from PATCH to SYSTEM
9) Rotate knob 7 to change SUB-CTL 2 from PATCH TO SYSTEM

This will now ensure that the SUB CTL 1 & 2 always perform the function assigned to them on EVEY PATCH. Now we will assign those functions

10) To set the SUBCTL 1 TO TURN THE PREAMPS ON OR OFF press the CTL/EXP button.
11) Rotate knob 4 to highlight SUB CTL 1
12) Rotate knob 5 until PREAMP is selected.
13) Rotate knob 6 to set MIN to OFF
14) Rotate knob 7 to set MAX TO ON
15) Rotate knob 8 to set SOURCE MODE to TOGGLE

Now to set SUBCTL 2 to turn the S/R (EFFECTS LOOP) ON and OFF:

16) Press the CTL/EXP button
17) Rotate knob 4 to select SUBCTL 2
18) Rotate knob 5 until SEND/RETURN is selected
19) Rotate knob 6 to set MIN to OFF
20) Rotate knob 7 to set MAX to ON
21) Rotate knob 8 to set SOURCE MODE to TOGGLE

That's it! Be aware that once you turn your GT100 off, the changes made to a patch (preamp on/off or S/R on/off will revert back to their previous state). The pedal functions we just assigned are still there. No worries:) If you wanted to keep the changes on a patch just perform the write function. That's about it. With thanks to Dan Doiron of Roland Canada!

Phil


Great resource. Thanks for sharing!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 10
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/24/2015 5:50 am
Originally Posted by: maggiorThanks so much for sharing this!! There seems to be no limit to how you can configure this thing.


No worries! You're quite welcome:)
# 11
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
orion1237b
Registered User
Joined: 04/13/13
Posts: 15
06/24/2015 5:53 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminGreat resource. Thanks for sharing!


You're very welcome!
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.