Scale Patterns

dwewolfe
dwewolfe
06/08/2015 6:49 pm
I'm starting to learn scales and I noticed that the patterns for C Major on the trainer tool is different from others I've looked at on line.Why is this?
Thanks
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2015 1:57 am
Originally Posted by: dwewolfeI'm starting to learn scales and I noticed that the patterns for C Major on the trainer tool is different from others I've looked at on line.Why is this?

There are a few possible sources of confusion here.

1. It's possible to play the same note in more than one place on the guitar. So, there are different possible configurations for any given scale.

2. Some scale patterns are drawn in more than one octave. When you are learning it's best to find scale patterns that isolate only one octave of the scale.

Look at this GF2 tutorial on the major scale to clarify these first 2 points.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

3. The Scale Finder regards "Pattern 1" as the pattern that places the root note on the low E string & played by the pinky, regardless of any other factor. Then, it covers all the strings & frets with notes from that scale in that position. Likewise for the other patterns: the goal is simply to cover the fretboard with the scale pattern.

The project goal of the Scale Finder was to be a complete reference resource. Whereas, the goal of my GF2 scale tutorials is to teach the basic unit of the diatonic scale.

In GF2, since I am teaching the basic concept of scales on a beginner level, I isolate just one octave of each scale & show a place to play it that relates closely to the basic chord it belongs to. Because you can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar, it was important to show three basic patterns of the major scale isolated in one octave. So, I simply numbered them in conceptual order of teaching.

Any given scale is identified by two pieces of info: its root note and its scale formula. We start with its root note, anywhere you can find it on any given instrument.

For example, the C major scale can be played starting on the note C, anywhere you can find it on the guitar. There are lots of places to play the note C on the guitar and, therefore all of them are valid places to start playing the C major scale. Then we follow with the scale formula and get the notes D, E, F, G, A & B. And place them anyway on the guitar you can find them.

Since you can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar it's necessary to get familiar with how visual patterns sound when you play them. Regardless of where you find them on the guitar or how you number them! So, none of the patterns contradict each other. They just overlap or present the same info in a different manner.

Have a look at this tutorial that actually uses the C major scale to play some scales & chords in a little musical example. You can see in the videos & notation images how I use notes below the root to get certain things done.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=426

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
dwewolfe
dwewolfe
06/11/2015 2:06 am
Thank you Mr Schlegel! You have explained it.The scales are starting to lift from my eyes!
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2015 12:51 pm
Originally Posted by: dwewolfeYou have explained it.The scales are starting to lift from my eyes!

You are welcome, of course!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.