View post (Why do some guitarists think the guitar is so unique?)

View thread

RussSnell111
RussSnell111
05/06/2015 5:44 am
Originally Posted by: SJWeissenI have been playing the guitar for over 20 years, never seriously until fairly recent (last year to 18 months). I did play the clarinet pretty seriously even being in my universities jazz band. I have been a member here for 6-8 months and have enjoyed every minute and my guitar ability has increased very nicely in that time. I am a completely happy customer. Being somewhat of an academic, I tend to do a lot of research and reading on whatever I’m interested in and listen to as many informed opinions as possible when making a choice. Ultimately after doing a lot of research on how to study guitar and particularly the music I wanted to play, I choose a private tutor and the book A Modern Method for Guitar by William Leavitt. I left private study for various reasons mostly because of my work and travel schedule and ended up here at Guitar Tricks. I have continued and finished Modern Method level 1 and John Ganape’s Blues You Can You. I am currently still working my way through Modern Method level 2 as well as Blues level 2 here on Guitar Tricks. I don’t know if my history is relevant to my question, but you have it incase there is any bias in the question.

Doing all my research and reading on various guitar websites, message boards, reviews of guitar method books and even interviewing 6 private instructors, one question kept popping into my mind. My question is what makes a certain percentage of guitar players (in some cases even more experienced and fairly accomplished) seemingly think the guitar is different then all other forms of musical instrument study. What I specifically refer to is what at times seem to be hatred if not an outright blind rage toward formal music education. A certain percentage of guitars seem to take not knowing any music theory or not being able to read standard music notation as a badge of honor. There is a percentage of these same “musicians” that will even insult fellow guitarist for wanting to learn these things. While I have known a rare few people who played piano completely by ear none of them were proud of that fact, if anything they were slightly embarrassed or wanted to learn more formally. As far as clarinet, I never met or even heard of anyone that just learned by ear with no formal music training.

Having a background that serves me well both in music and formal education in general I find this attitude perplexing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is about the guitar that seems to foster the attitude that you don’t study guitar and music the same way as with every other instrument? Is it in the guitar as an instrument or in the rock n’ roll attitude that detests formal knowledge and the establishment? I don’t really expect to find an answer but the topic fascinates me and I would love to hear others’ opinions.

Hey SJ!

The only thing I can tell you is there's a bit of rebel that is ingrained in every man. Some ride bikes (motorcycles), some jump from planes, some star their own businesses. Then there is the average guy that maybe hasn't had a lot of education, maybe he loves music and wants to play. The guitar is everyman's instrument. It's great for folks like yourself that wants to study music and learn as much as he can, or for the guy who just wants to play to sing, and nothing more, so he learns a handful of chords and calls it good.

You are absolutely correct that some guitarists act as if their way of learning is the best way, and even take a sense of pride at their accomplishments without studying music theory. But that's what makes the guitar special. they can get really good doing that if they choose to. To be honest, I've had many students of music look down their nose at me, because they are musicians and I "just play the guitar." Or that I "settled" for a seagull, when they paid for a Martin, or a Taylor. To those on the extreme of both sides, get over yourselves.

The guitar is an instrument that is easy to play and difficult to learn. By that I mean you can study it a lifetime and never learn it all. But with a little effort you can sing your favorite girl a love song, or tell a story with it. The guitar goes everywhere and is recognized immediately, and people relate it to fun. When did anyone (other than a die hard musician ever say a tuba was fun? Or a flute?

Right or wrong people gravitate to guitar music. It can be played effectively by rich or poor, young and old. I've even seen a guy play who was an amputee and do a great job of it.

Finally, it is an instrument that the average guy can play and share the depths of his soul. there's something about a guitar that people relate to.

I hope that helps answer your conundrum!

Have a great day!
Russell