View post (I need some Advice please)

View thread

maggior
maggior
03/17/2015 4:02 pm
That was very cool! Parts of it put me in mind of Joe Satriani trying to get funky :).

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing. I really liked the chromatic stuff you did early on. I also like how you would play a phrase and repeat it a few times with modifications. I try to do that myself and I think it is a great technique.

I didn't think that dodgy part was really that dodgy. You got back on track pretty quickly. It's good to throw caution to the wind sometimes and just let it go. Yeah, you come off the rails now and then...but so what. Other really fantastic stuff came out of it. Jimmy Page did this all of the time...playing our on the hairy edge of his ability. A few great things came out of it I'd say...

The only criticism (constructive of course!) I can offer is that as the track progress, you seemed to fall back on your comfort zone. In the beginning, you really locked into the funky vibe and were playing funky stuff. As the track went on, it was still great playing, but not quite as funky.

Keep at it...you've really developed some great chops and a great style of playing.

I noticed you play with both pickups on. How do you balance them out? I tend to solo on the neck pickup.