View post (pentatonic noodling)

View thread

SJWeissen
Full Access
SJWeissen
Full Access
03/16/2015 7:08 pm
I found it to be a real combination of both that helped me "get it". I thought learning all the shapes and knowing all the notes on the fret broad would just make my playing better. I found that wasn't really the case, and that I needed to spend time working on my phrasing and personal lick library. The combination of those two thing however was huge.

Let's face it we are dealing with a 5 not scale, how hard can that be right? (j/k) But we know a ton of great riffs have been played with just that 5 note scale. You can learn and make up a ton of great stuff with just those 5 notes. I still find it easy and comfortable to noodle and create in shape one.

Where I think knowing all the boxes and notes on the fret broad did pay off big for me is once I had a lick I liked I could then easily move it to any other box pattern on the neck. So take some of those great licks it was mentioned Anders teaches, once I learned them, I was able to play them anywhere on the neck in any key because I did know all the box shapes and notes on the fretboard.

Example lets say I'm in the key of A playing the 5 chord (E) using the 6th string bar chord at the 12th fret. Now when I want to play a fill from the A minor pentatonic scale I just play there in 12th position unlike previously (before I learned all the shapes and notes) I would have to shift back to 5th position and that one pattern I knew. Knowing all the positions and notes has saved me a lot of time and mistakes I use to make having to shift position to the few shapes I knew. Know I just play the same riff where my hands already are, it has made me a lot more relaxed when playing and my playing a lot cleaner.