Tremolo tuning issues!

ameen_s23
ameen_s23
01/29/2015 6:56 pm
I have an Ibanez guitar with a Strat style tremolo system (Ibanez version of it). Until a few weeks ago, the trem was working kinda fine, but suddenly, the strings started pulling detuning too easily (especially 3rd). So I set up the guitar so that the trem stays in tune, which it does. But when I bend a string (with my fingers), it goes flat. The moment I dip the whammy bar, it gets back to where it was. This is interfering with my playing, as I bend the 3rd string a lot. I know that pulling the string hard on a trem makes it go flat, but it was never this sensitive. This happened after I put on a new set of strings, but I the problem is continuing after putting on another new set. I did widen and slightly deepen the nut slots to allow easier sliding of the string, but this could not possibly be the reason. I also changed my preferred string gauge from 9 to 10. I need solutions, because I cannot find any solution elsewhere, and I really enjoy playing with the tremolo, and don't want to hardtail it.
Thanks
Ameen
# 1
maggior
maggior
01/29/2015 7:35 pm
When you moved to the higher string gauge, did you adjust the springs for the bridge? If not, you may notice that the bridge sits up higher than it did. You need to rebalance the trem system to accomodate for the heavier gauge strings.

I went through this on my strat when I went from 9's to 11's. There it was really obvious what happened, perhaps bumping up to 10's it's not as obvious.
# 2
ameen_s23
ameen_s23
01/29/2015 7:37 pm
Yes, I've adjusted the tensions loads of times (I kept switching between floating and non-floating), and the problem is still there. I know that pulling the string hard detunes it, it just became more sensitive, and now even bedning does it.
# 3
ameen_s23
ameen_s23
01/29/2015 7:42 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Oyc6slYRc
This is the method I use to keep the trem in tune. It still works, the problem is a different one here.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.