View post (Critique Please (Blues))

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/03/2015 10:45 pm
You do have some good elements of playing on this. I think what I noticed is some of the notes were not the right note and sounded a bit sour. There was some nice legato things at the beginning. Honestly, I would work on keeping in key. I don't want to make this sound overly harsh as it's not intended to be but, some notes just didn't work. That all comes in time and tuning up the ear.

Keep in mind though, when you bend a note, a good rule of thumb is to bend it to another note in the scale.

For example; You're noodling on the high E. Pentatonic, Major A and the High E would be fretted >1 - 3 4<...So, say you want to bend that '3' (3rd finger/7th fret)...Practice this > Play the '4' note (the 4th finger/8th fret). Just play it like that. No bend or vibrato. Just hit the note on the 8th fret. Then, practice bending your '3' note until it sounds like the same note as the '4'.

The trick is to bend in key. Get used to bending in key. While you can sometimes find ways that bending out of key might work, learning to bend in key is a great and powerful tool to good soloing.

Also, you may be playing in the right right key but the wrong note. Some notes work better as passing notes than notes you should stop on.

The last thing is to hear the modulation in the rhythm key and follow it.

Just a couple of things. I hope you don't take these as criticisms as you have a pretty good start but, as you start digging in, getting in to some of the good habits will be very helpful.