View post (original piece)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/20/2014 3:52 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777I think I get the gist of what you're saying. After listening to it again, I think what you're talking about really applies to most of the first half of the lead, right? It seems like later on I kind of got away from the 1,2,3,4 a little bit.

Or am I misunderstanding?

I think you're on to something and this is exactly the kind of advice I need, because my music theory and improvising is way behind my ability. I started out as a copy cat pretty much.

So I really appreciate your advice.

And you're right, it did break out of the 1-2-3-4 deal towards the end. Another thing to be mindful of is where your dropping notes within the beat. After I did a re-listen, the '1-2-3-4' thing, I think, also comes from being very 'on top of' the beat. Part of a groove comes from dropping the notes ahead of (a rushed/urgent vibe) or behind the beat (a deep grove vibe). Particularly if you are using a more military/on-the-beat' drum pattern, it can be easy to follow the pattern.

That said, listen to AC/DC Back in Black (the song). The drum beat is flat out a simple, on point 1-2-3-4. The guitar riff is pretty deep in the groove. For that matter, Angus is a great example of a great groove vibe in leads.

I think sometimes, waiting for 'the spot' in the groove instead of play every note, creates tension and groove. It takes practice to get used to finding spots in the groove.

You'd mention being a copy-cat, I'd suggest doing it more. Listen to old, blues and blues based roc players. Listen to old Lynyrd Skynyrd, Angus from AC/DC, Mike Bloomfield and old Stones from the 70's. All of these have a good groove to them.

Just some extra thoughts...