original piece

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/11/2014 7:59 am
Hi everybody.

I came up with this progression a few weeks ago but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I learned how to map out some drums and then I played some lead over it. But even though I came up with this rhythm, it sounds very familiar. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's already out there somewhere.

So if any of you recognize it, please let me know. Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback (good or bad) :)
# 1
RGX312l
RGX312l
12/11/2014 3:00 pm
I have images of the mob with dark glasses. The lead tone is very heavy for and I like it.
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 2
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/11/2014 11:46 pm
That's kind of the same thing I imagine when listening to it! It has the mood like a bunch of guys are in a car about to go kill someone lol.

Thanks for the feedback
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/14/2014 5:29 am
The playing is nice so no real complaints..but, I can hear you subconsciously count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. Particularly if you have the very steady drum beat, it's easy to fall into. Every lick has to fall in to the beat pattern. Just thinking out loud (in typed words...), do some legato stuff and spread some licks and bends that span a couple of beats.
# 4
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/14/2014 5:48 am
I think I get the gist of what you're saying. After listening to it again, I think what you're talking about really applies to most of the first half of the lead, right? It seems like later on I kind of got away from the 1,2,3,4 a little bit.

Or am I misunderstanding?

I think you're on to something and this is exactly the kind of advice I need, because my music theory and improvising is way behind my ability. I started out as a copy cat pretty much.

So I really appreciate your advice.
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/20/2014 3:52 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777I think I get the gist of what you're saying. After listening to it again, I think what you're talking about really applies to most of the first half of the lead, right? It seems like later on I kind of got away from the 1,2,3,4 a little bit.

Or am I misunderstanding?

I think you're on to something and this is exactly the kind of advice I need, because my music theory and improvising is way behind my ability. I started out as a copy cat pretty much.

So I really appreciate your advice.

And you're right, it did break out of the 1-2-3-4 deal towards the end. Another thing to be mindful of is where your dropping notes within the beat. After I did a re-listen, the '1-2-3-4' thing, I think, also comes from being very 'on top of' the beat. Part of a groove comes from dropping the notes ahead of (a rushed/urgent vibe) or behind the beat (a deep grove vibe). Particularly if you are using a more military/on-the-beat' drum pattern, it can be easy to follow the pattern.

That said, listen to AC/DC Back in Black (the song). The drum beat is flat out a simple, on point 1-2-3-4. The guitar riff is pretty deep in the groove. For that matter, Angus is a great example of a great groove vibe in leads.

I think sometimes, waiting for 'the spot' in the groove instead of play every note, creates tension and groove. It takes practice to get used to finding spots in the groove.

You'd mention being a copy-cat, I'd suggest doing it more. Listen to old, blues and blues based roc players. Listen to old Lynyrd Skynyrd, Angus from AC/DC, Mike Bloomfield and old Stones from the 70's. All of these have a good groove to them.

Just some extra thoughts...
# 6
haghj500
haghj500
12/20/2014 6:35 pm
I posted in the wrong thread. Removed.
# 7
haghj500
haghj500
12/20/2014 6:39 pm
Before I reply to this thread I need to thank axe2 and Jeffs65. Reading Jeffs65’s reply to bbzswa777 “original piece” thread today made me realize I do not have to speak to the style or speed of the playing for my opinion to maybe be worthwhile to the poster of the music. Reading bbzswa777 reply to Jeffs65 simple comment “I can hear you subconsciously count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4” opened my mind and also helped me learn something today. So I guess I should be thanking bbzswa777 also.

Maggior,
Wow, your lead skills have improved greatly since your last post. I can hear your lack of having to think about “how or what you want to do with this bend” they seem to flow from you now. So the overall flow of your leads has changed.

I think you can improve your ZZTOP leads by adding 2 string bends to your bag of tricks, just like single string bends they are hard to do at first, but are well worth the time in the long run. If you come down from a big bend and then grab a 2 string bend like he does a lot, you will open your field of expression and Dynamics in your leads. The added volume of the second string being stricked at the same time will change the dynamics but only for the moments you hold both strings. Another thing he does I’m not hearing is he will pre-bend a string before striking it and uses a slower speed to bring it back down to the open note. It has a great bluesy feel and sound. Another trick would be to start with it pre-bent then pick it a few time on the way back down.

It is interesting listening to the difference in your lead flow while you play I shot the sheriff. I can hear you connect to that song “inside” more than the ZZTOP song. Maybe you just have more hours of practicing the I shot the sheriff lead so it flows with less thought.

I don’t remember if I got this from this site or some thread on youtube. If you tap your foot while playing only tap your foot on the 2 and 4 beats. I find it changes my timing and notes picked to play. Give it a try it is kind of enlightening.

Side note of curiosity have you been trying to play with your eyes closed?
# 8
maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 11:12 pm
This sounds really cool! The clean tone is really cool...had an alt rock sound to it.

You asked if it sounded familiar...is the main rhythm similar to Enter Sandman?? I've never played that song, but it was the first thing that came to mind when you asked if it sounded familiar.

There are some variations regarding note choice that you do toward the end that were really cool. As others suggested, if you could introduce some rhythmic variety, it would be really great!

Nice job!
# 9
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/21/2014 2:03 am
That's funny, I listened to Enter Sandman again and I see what you mean! But I think it's different enough to where I don't have to worry about it. :)

I appreciate the feedback. Merry Christmas!
# 10
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/21/2014 2:16 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Part of a groove comes from dropping the notes ahead of (a rushed/urgent vibe) or behind the beat (a deep grove vibe). Particularly if you are using a more military/on-the-beat' drum pattern, it can be easy to follow the pattern.

That said, listen to AC/DC Back in Black (the song). The drum beat is flat out a simple, on point 1-2-3-4. The guitar riff is pretty deep in the groove. For that matter, Angus is a great example of a great groove vibe in leads.

I think sometimes, waiting for 'the spot' in the groove instead of play every note, creates tension and groove. It takes practice to get used to finding spots in the groove.

I see what you mean! I'm much better at this when improvising over blues backing tracks for some reason. I'll play notes early or late naturally. But does what you're saying apply to the rhythm I was playing as well? Or is it best to pretty much have the rhythm locked in with the drums?
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.